Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tsrgnt Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2010, 11:46 AM
    Texas debt law
    I have a credit card account that I had to stop paying on, maybe 6 months to a year ago. Today my mail lady came up with a certified letter from a process server. I rejected the letter but I am pretty sure that I know what it was. I have a card that I think may be suing me for non payment. I live in Texas and have heard that they can sue me and they can and probably will win, but that is it. That it is not criminal and that there is nothing legally to make me pay. I am worried, I have always paid my bills till last year, which was terrible and still just trying to keep my home, I did not stop paying just for extra money, but because there was and still is none. I have never been in any trouble and the thought of my name being on the naughty list scares the life out of me. What will happen next, what should I expect, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2010, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tsrgnt View Post
    That it is not criminal and that there is nothing legally to make me pay.
    Yes its not criminal, but, no, there are legal means to make you pay. You made an agreement whereby the credit card issuer advanced you money that you are legally and morally bound to repay it.

Texas, does not permit garnishment of your salary, but they do allow attachment of bank accounts and maybe other assets. Also, if they get a judgement, it can be enforced for up to 20 years.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2010, 11:57 AM

Your name on the naughty list? This will go on your credit report and you will live with it for a number of years. I'm rather amazed that you find this humorous.

I'm not sure that running up debts and not paying them isn't criminal - if the cc company takes a position that you KNEW you couldn't pay this could be a criminal matter. This is currently being used in NY when creditors push to be paid.

Expect a Judgment to be taken against you and any assets which are not exempt to be seized or liened.

Here is Texas Law: The Law Blog: Post-Judgment Collection In Texas

Jul 2, 2010, 12:27 PM
    I in no way find this humorous, I believe I said "scares the life out of me" I take this very seriously but right now there is no money to pay them, do you know what assests can be seized or liened, or what they can do with bank accounts? I would like to be as prepared as possible.

Jul 2, 2010, 12:46 PM
    Texas debt and bank accounts
    If I am sued by a cc company for nonpayment of the debt in Texas can they take the money out of bank accounts, and

If one does go to court is there really any chance that you being there will help you, what are your chances of winning, zero, not sure.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2010, 12:51 PM

Well if you don't show up your chances of losing are 100%, and the odds of them getting everything they want are also 100%. Anything beat those odds. Anything you can get is better than what you get by not showing up.

If you lose they can file for and be granted garnishment of your account and wages and even tax returns.
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2010, 01:35 PM

Other than your name on the naughty list (whatever that means)? I researched and posted Texas law. Did you read it?

Jul 2, 2010, 01:46 PM

Check the link Judy gave you (I always wonder why people ask for information that was in a link offered). As to bank accounts they can seize whatever is there and keep seizing them.

Whether there is money to pay now, like I said a judgment can be hanging over your head for as much as 20 years.

Jul 2, 2010, 05:21 PM
    Thank you very much for the info and I am truly sorry to have offended so many with asking
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2010, 05:33 PM

No one is offended - surprised, yes. Offended, no.
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Jul 2, 2010, 06:15 PM

This is the second post you have made about debt in Texas. Judy and ScottGem gave you some very good advise. Did you not believe them? They are experts and told you what you asked so my question to you would be are you looking for an answer that you want to hear?

Jul 2, 2010, 06:20 PM
    Comment on DownUnder's post
    Just as much info as I can find, again sorry for asking, did not mean to waste your time, and if you don't want to help why are you on here.

Jul 2, 2010, 08:08 PM

Comments on this post
    tsrgnt : just as much info as I can find, again sorry for asking, did not mean to waste your time, and if you don't want to help why are you on here.

This comment was out of line. You do not dictate who can answer your question or how. It is the guidelines and practice of this site that all follow-up questions be kept in the same thread. This benefits you by keeping all the discussion together. When you start a new thread with the same or similar question it does tend to look like you didn't accept the advice given.

So DownUnder was just advising you of the site rules.
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2010, 05:40 AM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    tsrgnt disagrees
    .[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what you are disagreeing with - you are arguing that I AM offended? How would you know how/what I am feeling.

Another case of someone who is trying to get out of paying a debt and is only interested in legal advice that backs up his/her position - no interest at all in the law.

Way out of line where others who answered and I are concerned.
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Jul 3, 2010, 06:01 AM

Judy is right on this! Some people will not accept responsbility for their own actions and are only looking for an answer to justify what they want to hear!

Jul 3, 2010, 12:19 PM

Lets settle down here. I agree the OP was a bit flippant and was out of line with his reaction to the advice given. But let's give him a chance to apologize.
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2010, 12:27 PM

Scott, not trying to do your job nor do I WANT your job. He wasn't flippant. OP was insulting and gave me a reddie.

No problem if you think I over reacted to an insult and a reddie but I don't think he was merely flippant.

Flippant is the "naughty list" comment.

Jul 3, 2010, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Scott, not trying to do your job nor do I WANT your job. He wasn't flippant. OP was insulting and gave me a reddie.

No problem if you think I over reacted to an insult and a reddie but I don't think he was merely flippant.

Flippant is the "naughty list" comment.
    No, YOU didn't overreact, the OP did. But I think it was more out of frustration and concern for his situation. I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt. The comments he has received were deserved, I just don't want a pile on until he's had the change to apologize.
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2010, 04:46 AM

Okay. Waiting for him to come back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

By Texas law [ 3 Answers ]

By Texas law how lod does a child have to be to have his own room

Texas Family Law [ 2 Answers ]

In Texas what age does a child have to be to decide if she continues visitation schedule with her father?

Texas Debt Collection [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, First of all I live in Texas and have unpaid credit card debt that I probably eventually be sued for. The SOL has not been reached. I have done research, and understand that my wages cannot be garnished in Texas. I understand that a lien can be placed against my home, but Texas has 100%...

Texas: Debt Collection Law Suit & Statute of Limitations [ 0 Answers ]

I live in Texas. I have an outstanding debt for collection of an unpaid balance on a car loan. The car was totaled in a wreck and the insurance company paid all but ~$6k. The car loan company (Chrysler Financial) sent me a letter on July 9, 2004, requesting me to pay the remaining balance in...

Texas Debt Collection [ 1 Answers ]

Can I be sued in Texas for 900.00 unpaid on closed checking account.

View more questions Search