Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    domingoj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2010, 11:04 AM
    Additional Child Support to the Parent with Sole Legal Custody
    Based on the settlement agreement, each party agrees to pay equal share of private school tuition fees and extracurricular activity expenses. Does the parent with the sole legal custody has the full authority to decide on what school and activities are chosen without consulting the other parent?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2010, 12:44 PM

Only if you are going to pay the full bill, 50% liability give each 50% rights on deciding.

Reason is some vindictive parents would send their kid to the most expensive school possible out of spite. Thus, this keeps things honest and in the kids best interest as well.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2010, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by domingoj View Post
    Based on the settlement agreement, each party agrees to pay equal share of private school tuition fees and extracurricular activity expenses. Does the parent with the sole legal custody has the full authority to decide on what school and activities are chosen without consulting the other parent?
    Your court order should outline what rights you do - or don't - have. If you have sole legal custody, in most cases, that means you would have the right to enroll the children without consulting the other parent... but I'd double-check your paperwork just to be positive. My husband's divorce paperwork stated that they share joint legal custody and outlined which decisions were included with that.

Are you positive that only one parent has legal custody? That term is often misunderstood. For example: my state refers to "physical custody" as "placement" and "legal custody" as "custody." You may want to verify what your rights are before doing anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sole custody child support [ 4 Answers ]

I'm in the same situation as Phoenixfire with being a divorced mother applying for a passport for my 8year son. I'm from NJ. My ex lives in Guyana and we have not been in contact with each other since 2007. I now have to apply for sole child custudy and submit it the National Passport Center with...

Ex-wife threatening legal action for child support but custody withheld [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 10 years and have 2 children together. He has a teenage daughter from his previous marriage. His ex-wife is also remarried and has no other children. Over the past 11 years that my husband and I have been together, his ex-wife has always used their daughter...

Sole custody and child support [ 6 Answers ]

The father of my 2 youngest children currently only sees them 4 days a month... they seem to impose on his lifestyle. He is always trying to get me to pick them up early or drop them off later (which I willing do because I miss them dearly). We currently have no court order in place I was trying to...

Does having sole custody grant me more child support? [ 3 Answers ]

If you have sole custody you will not be granted the amount the children deserve it would be based on the cost of living between both households. It also would be based on the income of both parties and expenses.

View more questions Search