Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Babymama0614 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2010, 09:10 AM
    I have been trying to get pregnant for months now. I need some help.
    Every time my boyfriend and I "do it" he either ejaculates while I'm on top and it just comes right back out, or even when he's on top it comes right back out. We have been using no protection and I'm curious if I can still be pregnant even though it came back out... did all of it come back out? Is there anyway to tell.
    Any answers would be greatly apreciated!! Thank YOU!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 2, 2010, 09:19 AM

Babymama, it only takes a very tiny tiny few of those little spermatzoa to hit the mark and get things going. They swim like crazy. You would know if you ever saw that skit on Saturday Night Live a few years back. Its true though. One good trick is standing on your head immediately after intercourse.

Basically, no, it doesn't all come out. You could try calendar method tracking your most fertile period, have intercourse, and then stand on you're head; or have intercourse with a firm pillow under your butt. I almost guarantee these methods, Babymama!

Ms tick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 2, 2010, 09:26 AM

And it can take a year and more at times for some couples even when using good timing of only having sex during the most fertile times.

Are you periods regular ?
    Are you tracking the most fertile times ?
    How long is "months" ?

Jul 2, 2010, 09:58 AM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    My periods are regular, and its actually coming up and I'm very nervous.
    I have been tracking my most fertile times with ovulation tests and as far as months go, since early April. Its very irritating.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2010, 10:16 AM

Have you spoken to a doctor yet?

How long has it been since you stopped using contraception,if it was hormonal it may still be in your system.

Jul 3, 2010, 08:43 AM
    Comment on tickle's post
    Thank you for your help, I hope it works(: I have actually tried standing on my head and my boy friend thought I was rather crazy. But thank you(:
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2010, 08:50 AM

I think perhaps you may be at the time to speak with your doctor.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2010, 09:04 AM

No it does not all come back out.

I don't think it matters who is on top.

If you have regular 28-day cycles, you should ovulate approximately 14 days after the first day of your period. To get pregnant, you should have sex one or two days before you ovulate. Not sooner! In theory, sperm can last inside you for up to a week, but they mostly don't last much longer than 3 or 4 days. You want nice fresh sperm when you ovulate, so time intercourse to within 48 hours of ovulation.

You can tell you are about to ovulate because about 2 days before you ovulate, the mucous in your vagina will change to a clear, stringy, sticky consistency. Pay attention to the quality of mucous until you can recognize this change.

You can also tell when you are ovulating by a spike in your morning temperature. You'll need a special thermometer to take your temperature every day. Plus, then you have to make love right away, which isn't very convenient. Once you ovulate, the egg is only good for about 12 hours, so if one of you has to go to work, you could miss your window of opportunity.

For this reason, it makes more sense to do it a day or two before--which means using a calendar and paying attention to mucous.

If that still doesn't work, one of you may be infertile. It is just as likely to be the man as the woman. There are work arounds. But then it's time to consult a doctor.

Have you had any late periods since you started trying?
    Even by a couple of days?

Jul 3, 2010, 09:46 AM
    Comment on asking's post
    Thank you very much for your help, but no I have been exactly on time. Now today I got almost a brown mucus like subastance that turned to a light red, pinky brown subtance, I do not believe it is my period as it has no odor at all, which is very un

Jul 3, 2010, 09:46 AM
    Comment on redhed35's post
    I think so too.
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2010, 10:36 AM

Hi Babymama,
    You should answer using the reply or quote user buttons. The Agree/disagree box is for rating answers and very short comments. In general, disagrees are for factually incorrect answers. We use disagrees sparingly, as it's considered kind of harsh here.

Hope you'll post some more.

I don't know what this discharge is but you said you were expecting your period, so it could just be the day before... Wait and see.

What is the length of your cycle?
    How often do you have intercourse and when relative to ovulation?
    Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 10:54 AM

Curious to know why OP disagreed with my comments. It was factually correct. I do have a family of my own, a well adjusted mature individual and am in healthcare; unless OP found my comments offensive in some way, I see know nothing wrong with how I posted. A balancer was supplied anyway.

Perhaps Babymamma can enlighten me.

Ms tickle

Jul 3, 2010, 02:13 PM
    Comment on asking's post
    I'm not sure what you talking about with the agree/dissagree buttons, could you please further explain?
    The length of my cycle is usually 6 days, but consistently heavy. This is very unusual.
    I have intercourse about once a week and during ovulation
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2010, 02:58 PM

I assume you mean 6 days is how long from the first day of your period to when you stop bleeding.

I meant, how many days from the first day of one period to the first day of the next one? That's how long your menstrual cycle is. From that, it's possible to estimate how many days from the beginning of your period to the day you ovulate. If you can predict that, it will help a lot.

Jul 4, 2010, 10:42 AM
    Comment on asking's post
    Um, usually about 21, to 24 days, this time, what ever this is was early.
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2010, 10:52 AM

You said you were very regular, but a spread of 21 to 24 days is actually rather variable. Regular would mean you were 23-24 days every single month. Your cycle is also shorter than average. But that gives you more chances to get pregnant.

Since you are irregular, it's harder to predict when you will ovulate and harder to know if you have had any late periods. I was asking because late periods when you are trying to get pregnant can mean you were briefly pregnant, but it didn't "take." This is a good sign that things are working.

In theory, you should ovulate between 7 and 10 days after the beginning of your period. This is because the time from ovulation to the first day of menstruation is usually almost exactly 14 days. So 24-14 is 10 and 21 - 14 is 7.

That means that your mucous *should* change between 5 and 8 days AFTER the first day of your period. Because your periods are variable, I don't feel very certain about this, but that's when you should be looking. Since you are still bleeding at that point, it might be harder to notice.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2010, 01:02 PM

Babymama,

Try not to worry just yet. It is not uncommon for it to take awhile to become pregnant, even with good timing. As was said, you don't need to be concerned about some semen coming back out, this is perfectly normal and while it may seem like nothing is staying put, rest assured enough is. The only time this may be a concern is if your partner had a low sperm count, otherwise millions are ejaculated and deposited near your cervix. A large number is necessary because most die off, are of poor quality, or have the typical male lack of sense of direction... :)

A general guide is that you will ovulate about 12-16 days before the next period is due, regardless of the length of your cycle. Some women will naturally ovulate sooner than this or later than this, so determining when you are most likely to ovulate will help you narrow it down even more.

As has been shared, there are numerous ways to get a better idea of when you are most likely ovulating. If your cycles are indeed a bit irregular you may even want to start with 18 days from your shortest cycle and 11 days from your longest. This would be most likely your most fertile time frame. Again, unless you have testing to determine if/when you are ovulating, it is a starting place to be used in conjunction with the other means of determining whether your body is preparing for ovulation.

If you use the ovulation kits, be sure the test result line is as dark or darker than the control line. A faint line does not mean positive, unlike a pregnancy test would. Personally, I would start "trying" a few days before the recommendation on the test and right through a few days after you think ovulation occurred. If possible, having intercourse every other day throughout a cycle can work for some couples as well if determining ovulation is difficult. Obviously it is important too not to let it become a chore with only one goal in mind. Not easy to do if you are hoping to become pregnant.

Certainly ha ve a preconception visit with your doctor, but they may not do any sort of testing since it just hasn't been very long. The majority of couples will become pregnant in the first year of actively trying... some take a bit longer even when all is well. Usually after a year of trying is when doctors will suggest some initial testing... sooner for older women.

See what sort of pattern you notice in the next few months with regard to changes in cervical mucous, sometimes checking internally is necessary if it is not externally obvious (and there are ways to increase cervical mucous if need be), with temps changes if you try temping/charting, and with the ovulation kits. This information would also be helpful to share with your doctor if you don't become pregnant in the next few months.
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2010, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    A general guide is that you will ovulate about 12-16 days before the next period is due, regardless of the length of your cycle.
    Hi Doula, Can you give an authoritative reference for this? I have always read that it is pretty close to 14 days exactly (maybe 13.5, but not 12 or 16). Has that view changed in recent years?

Thanks!
    Asking
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2010, 01:46 PM

Sure...

Understanding Ovulation : American Pregnancy Association

The 14 days after is still used, but that applies with a 28 day cycle... which would put it about 12-16 days before the next period is due. While many women do have a 28 day cycle and will ovulate about 14 days into it, many others won't follow the norm. The move has come about because with a focus mostly at 14 days, many couples were missing ovulation, sometimes by just a few days... which, of course, will make all the difference.
    Many doctors will follow the 14 day guide, but many others, especially RE's will use a broader range.
    Expert

Jul 4, 2010, 05:05 PM

I don't see any answers to posts from the OP, it appears she is sending PMs to everyone for answers. Which defeats the purpose of what we try to accomplish here, which is so everyone can benefit from the information given. There is no reason why this should happen.

I suggest the thread be closed if this is the case.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Been trying to get pregnant now for 10 months and still nothing [ 12 Answers ]

My fiancé and I have been wanting to get pregnant for a while now. For the last 8-10 months we have been trying more and more and still we end up with a period every month. I want to know what I'm doing wrong, or what I should do to improve my chances. I was a smoker, and I gave that up to...

I can't GET PREGNANT trying for four months [ 1 Answers ]

I have been trying to get pregnant for around 4 months and nothing please help

Been trying to get pregnant for 19 months know? [ 10 Answers ]

28/09/08 Hi guys My partner and I have know been trying for our second child for 18 months With nothing happening. :( we are both 23 year old we have been doing the billing method for nine months know .

I am almost 3 months pregnant! [ 1 Answers ]

I am almost 12 weeks pregnant and I have had minor bleeding since 9 weeks. Is it a possible miscarriage?

4 months pregnant [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently 4 months pregnant and the father of the baby denies that the baby is his. I want to put his name on the birth certificate is that possible even though he won't sign the because at time of birth?

View more questions Search