Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dixie22 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Jul 1, 2010, 11:12 AM
    How to publish
    I like to wright short stories and poems but I don't know how to publish them
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 1, 2010, 11:37 AM

If you have a lot of money behind you can publish anything you write as long as you find a printer to do if for you.

Tick
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 1, 2010, 11:45 AM

You can send them to publishers of that type of material and hope one of them will be interested in printing them and paying you for that privilege. On the other hand, like tick said, there are vanity presses and P.O.D. (print-on-demand) publishers that will ask you to pay x number of dollars and then print of your works for you.

You can send to a poetry magazine or "little" (literary) magazine one of your poems or stories to test the waters and find out if there is any interest in what you have written.

If you want any specific information on publishers, P.O.D. presses, or literary magazines, please ask. Always make sure that your work has been proofread by someone good in spelling and grammar, so you can mail off a "clean" copy that publishers will more impressed with than one full of errors.

Jul 1, 2010, 01:11 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    Thank you
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 1, 2010, 03:24 PM

Quote Originally Posted by dixie22
    thank you i think i'll try to get one of my poems in a magazine how would i find a magazine that would let me put one of my poems in
    For future reference, don't answer anyone here by putting your post in the comments box where the "agree" and "disagree" buttons are. That section is just for rating answers.

Don't post any poems online -- here or on a blog or a Web site of any type. Publishers count that as being published. Emailing a poem to just one person is okay.

Make sure the poem is grammatically correct with good spelling.

Warning: Your first poems might get published, but you might not get much or any money for it. That's okay. The publishing of any of your work means you have been "approved" by the print world and you are building up credits or clippings as they are called. My first non-fiction article earned me only $100, but that gave me a "name" so that I got thousands of dollars later when I published other non-fiction stuff. And I've gotten stories published and didn't earn a cent. That's okay. I now have a good "name" or "brand." Future publishers know they can count on me for good writing. That's what you want in the world of publishing, a good reputation, a solid brand.

Finally, please tell me what your poem is about. There are many literary magazines. Some will be a better fit than others. For instance, you won't want to send a horror poem to a literary magazine for new parents or to a magazine that publishes cooking stories (unless you are horrified that you burned the meatloaf).

If you want to investigate on your own, there's a book at the library called Writer's Market. Make sure it's the 2010, or at least the 2009 edition. Check it out and look up the chapter on "little" magazines, and start reading descriptions to find a fit for your poem. Follow the directions for submitting.

If you need more help, please let me know.

Jul 2, 2010, 11:59 AM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    Why wouldn't I want to put it online I found a web site where some people have gotten there poems published
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 2, 2010, 01:48 PM

Quote Originally Posted by dixie22
    why wouldnt i whant to put it online i found a web site where some people have gotten there poems published
    Were those poems published by a P.O.D. (vanity) press or by a legitimate publisher? Please post the Web site's url.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you publish [ 11 Answers ]

Okay soooooo I've been writing a book for some time now. It's going on the 5th month. Now, I have one chapter left to write before I finish it. Not including the time I'll need to go back and revise. I've looked up a bunch of information myself, but I was wondering if anyone on here has...

Wanting to Self Publish. Where do I go? [ 9 Answers ]

I am really wanting to publish my book. I want to keep all the rights to my book, I want to choose my cover (I already know what I want on it), and I would like to be able to take care of my prices but that one isn't a must have cause I've heard most companies are pretty good about that one. But...

Should I publish my book? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. My name is Cheyenne and I am 13 years old. I have recently worte a book about a wolf pup that has a seret power. It talks about how animals use the envirment to help survive in the wild and life is too short to spend it away from your family. I have just finished the book in April and don't...

Publish book [ 4 Answers ]

I am in the middle of writing a book and I am wondering: Is there a place where I can send it and they say if it is good enough to publish?

Book publish [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know if I am in the right place for this question But I am in the middle of writing a story and so far I think it is good and want to know if it is good enough to get published and people to buy it but I don't know what to do. Can you please help

View more questions Search