Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2313stephen Posts: 65, Reputation: 3

Jul 1, 2010, 04:09 AM
    Quitting cannabis
    I have been a cannabis user off and on for the last 15years. If I'm honest more on than off. For probably the last 3 years I have smoked cannabis every evening. I never smoke during the day only in the evenings. For a long time now I have wanted to quit and wake every morning feeling groggy but also very guilty because I have smoked again! Today I have decided I really want to do this, I'm 36 and seriously need to sort my head out. I have never been a confident person but lately I have felt really anxious about silly situations that really shouldn't bother me atall. I want to feel alive again, full of energy and to feel excited about life and the adventures that life can bring. Not dazed and confused anymore. I feel scared that I won't make it and here's my major problem. My husband also smokes and has no intention of giving up. I don't want to nag him into stopping and I can't blame him for me smoking. How can I quit when living with a smoker, how can I find the strength I need to do this for me and me alone. I have never felt more serious about this before. Please if anyone could offer me some advice that would be great.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2010, 04:22 AM
    Hi, 2313stephen!

How about joining a 12-step program somewhere?

Thanks!

Jul 1, 2010, 05:20 AM
    I was thinking about that after I asked my question. I live in Scotland Uk and I am unsure if a programme like that even exists here. I know we have Alcoholics anonymous but pot head anonymous is another matter!:confused: I shall go and look on the internet now and see if there are any local organisations that could help me.

Jul 1, 2010, 06:07 AM

Well as I thought I have found nothing in the way of a help group in my area. Lots of help for heroin and cocaine but absolutlely ziltch for cannabis use. This makes me unhappy and irritated.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2010, 10:28 AM

You can still glean a lot of useful information at the meetings held for heroin or cocaine addiction. And basically pot is not a true addiction but more of a mental crutch. If you were to stop smoking pot cold and not smoke again you would not have horrible withdrawl symptoms like the heroin or cocaine addicts experience. Just stop one day at a time. You have basically convinced yourself that you are helpless over this "addiction". You are not. It's all a mental addiction and not a physical addiction.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 4, 2010, 10:54 AM

This group should help you find someone to help
    Drug rehab in Scotland, drug rehabilitation centres for drugs and alcohol in Scotland

Also this group, no web site
    Scottish Drug Recovery Consortium
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2010, 11:06 AM
    Twelve step programs will generally cover and include all sorts of addictions.

For instance, even people who overeat are frequently encouraged to attend 12-step meetings.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2011, 11:01 AM

2313stephen does not find this helpful: Cannabis is also a physical addiction, you wouldn't suffer from anxiety and sweats after quitting if it wasn't. Used a website called clearhead and have been clean 9 months and feel amazing.

I beg to differ with you. I smoked pot for manyyears and then one day I just stopped. I did not have any axiety or sweats.

You are a hypochondriac at that point saying that you experienced these symptoms.

I just didn't want to eat the fridge's contents when I stopped.

Jul 18, 2011, 11:20 AM
    Twinkiedooter, not the most helpful answer is it? First point, the question is over a year old and you already answered it poorly a year ago. Check out clearhead and the book 'no need for weed' It will explain the physical side of being addidcted to cannabis. You probably shouldn't be advising people about drug addiction as you clearly need some study on this topic. If anyone does require help on this subject I would strongy advise you to ignore the advice of this fool who clearly spends far too much time trawling the ask me helpdesk site reading other peoples problems in an attempt to make their life more worth while. Sad sad sad. Twinkiedooter or whatever you call yourself, you need to get out more you poor thing!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there anything that can get cannabis out of system. [ 20 Answers ]

I've stopped smoking cannabis,(skunk) for ten days because I'm changing jobs, and I'm having a drink and drugs urine test. I am aware that the drug is still in my system. Is there anything that can clean my system to stop them from showing up? Or are there any good detox methods to help me pass...

Levels of cannabis in test? [ 2 Answers ]

Could someone please tell me if I can tell how often my son has been using by a measurement of 1.4mg of THC in his hair drug testing.

Taxing Cannabis [ 43 Answers ]

Some people argue that the reason cannabis is not legal is because it cannot be taxed. Sure someone can grow tons of plants and reap a huge benefit of cash from it, and the government can't do anything about it because its legal. However, were forgetting about the civil institutions we set up to...

Cannabis Plants [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Im not sure if my questions are appropriate for this site, so please forgive me if they are not. I am currently growing six cannabis plants for my own personal use, I think they are of the sativa variety. I have never grown cannabis before, and I don't really know what I'm doing, so my...

How do I get rid of cannabis? [ 3 Answers ]

How long will it take to get cannabis out of my body? I don't smoke it much, once every couple of weeks, but I have to have a drugs test for a job how can I get it out of my system more quick?

View more questions Search