Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frotosride Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2010, 07:30 PM
    1 phase 230vac air compressor hook up to 3 phase dryer outlet? How?
    I have a single phase air compressor 230vac. But the only outlet in the house I am renting ( why I will not run new wires and breaker) is what I assume a 3 phase for the dryer. The outlet has a red, black, white and ground. If I am correct then I can use either the red and black or the white and the black plus a ground and this will allow my 220/240 vac for the compressor? Yes?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2010, 07:56 PM

Residential typically doesn't have 3 phase power.
    Residential dryers are not 3 phase.

What you likely have is 240/120 outlet or a 4-wire 240 outlet. This consists of:
    Green/bare = ground
    White = N= Neutral
    Red = L1
    Black = L2

Between L1 and L2 there will be 240 V. Between L1 and N there will be 120 V and between L2 and N there will be 120 V.

Your compresor likely requires L1, L2 and ground. Don't use N.

Jun 30, 2010, 08:50 PM
    Comment on KISS's post
    You are a smart man... I do live in a highly industrial area and 3 phase is available but you are right those are the exact wires.

One more quick question if you have the time to entertain it.

If I use 10-2 about 15ft from the outlet to the compres

Jun 30, 2010, 08:54 PM
    Comment on KISS's post

If I use 10-2 about 15ft from the outlet to the compressor( 230 1 phase fla 15 fr 58. Dou think I will have any load/heat problems? I only use it about 2-3hrs day for porting heads and running some air tools
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2010, 12:46 AM

Can you post the rest of this sentence "if i use 10-2 about 15ft from the outlet to the compres" as "Post quick Answer"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How I know if my house use a single-phase or triple phase electric panel breaker? [ 10 Answers ]

I am trying to buy the "plug and save", but I do not know what kind of phase panel I do have... how can I check what is the one I have? Thanks!

Service panel is 120 two pole when I check phase to phase I don't get 240 [ 1 Answers ]

Service panel is 120 two pole when I check phase to phase I don't get 240

Single phase vs. 3 phase power - what makes 3 phase more efficient? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, What is it that makes 3 phase power more efficient? Suppose I need an air compressor for a printing shop and I can choose between a 7.5HP single phase and a 7.5HP 3 phase. Ignoring that the cost of the motor is a little less for 3 phase, why is the motor more efficient and how does...

Can 220v-1 phase table saw be powered from a dryer outlet [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I have a Delta 3 HP -220 volt single phase table saw in my garage but do not have a 220 volt outlet in the garage. I was considering making an extension cord to run from the garage to the nearby laundry room where I could plug into the 220 volt clothes dryer outlet. The dryer has a circuit...

3 phase outlet to single phase [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings from a new member. Is it possible to convert a 3 phase outlet to a single phase outlet? I have a 220vac 60amp 1p compressor that I would like to wire up. Thank you in advance for any help. Boats08

View more questions Search