Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaleoggs Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2010, 04:19 PM
    My Computer Won't Boot Up Properly...
    Okay, I have an eMachines T6410 computer and it has windows XP. When I turn on my computer it runs fine for about ohhh .5 seconds. The fans work that long then just cut off. I have tried only a few things. I have tried unplugging everything in the computer and I have tried cleaning out my computer and I have also tried downgrading to the motherboard graphics card and the RAM that came with the computer. I would really appreciate some help. Thank you.

-Kale McClintock-
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jun 30, 2010, 06:42 PM
    Other things to check:
    • Verify the power supply by replacing it with a known good one or with a tester.
    • Verify the momentary power switch with a multimeter.

Faulty power supplies and motherboards are the two most common ailments I've encountered with eMachines.

Jun 30, 2010, 07:11 PM
    Thank you for replying so quickly. I know its not the power supply cause I switched it with a good power supply and it still did the same thing, the other power supply was somewhat newish. But I would really like further help if you could possibly provide any further help. Every bit counts, cause I'm having some money issues and well I'm 15 and my parents are having money issues. I can't get a job because I'm not "of age", so we really can't afford to get it repaired professionally.

Thank you.

Kale McClintock
    Hardware Expert

Jul 1, 2010, 01:12 PM
    For ATX form factor power supplies like you have, when the case power button is pressed, the motherboard grounds the green PS_ON# wire in the power supply wiring connector plugged to the motherboard to start the power supply. Once the output voltages are within tolerance, the power supply outputs a PWR_OK signal on the grey wire in the connector. The motherboard exists in a state of continuous reset until the PWR_OK signal is asserted. So, if a system hiccups like yours is doing, one of two things is usually happening:
    1. The power supply is not sustaining it's outputs and dropping the PWR_OK signal which puts the motherboard back into reset.
    2. The motherboard is not sustaining the PS_ON# signal to keep the power supply on through fault or other problem detection.

If you have already tried a known good power supply, you are probably faced with #2. Swapping a motherboard is a good bit of effort, so I usually also do the steps below before gutting the system. The bold items are the most common cures:
    1. Verify electrical utility voltage at the receptacle.
    2. Verify voltage at the power strip or surge suppressor.
    3. Verify the 115/230V selector switch, if any, on the power supply is set correctly.
    4. Verify power supply outputs with tester or meter.
    5. Unplug all adapters, drives, and peripherals from motherboard.
    6. Unplug and replug power connectors (20/24 pin main and 4 pin +12V) on motherboard.
    7. Verify unused power supply peripheral connectors aren't shorted to case, have junk in them, insects, etc.
    8. Remove memory modules, clean and dust out memory sockets with an electronics duster or dry compressed air, and reinstall minimum required for board to POST. Then, if more than one module, swap the other module and try again.
    9. Clean and dust out PCI/PCI-E/AGP expansion slot connectors with an electronics duster or dry compressed air.
    10. Check area under motherboard for debris such as a loose screw.
    11. Inspect motherboard for leaking or bloated capacitors.
    12. Consult motherboard documentation or vendor for additional troubleshooting capabilities the board may have.

If the board is the issue, given the age, finding a replacement socket 754 board may be a challenge. Consider investing in a new processor, board, and memory and reuse the case and rest of the components.

I started working at 14 mowing grass and doing grounds maintenance for a manufacturing plant. There are jobs out there for the determined, particularly if you do a good job and always show up on time.

Jul 3, 2010, 12:18 PM
    Ok, thank you for the information. I will try those steps. But how much would a new motherboard cost me? Cause I mean, I don't know, its summer time (best time of the year for a lawn working business) and I also live in Texas where its very hot out. I want to get a job, but no one around my neighborhood will let a "kid" mow their lawn, and my parents won't drive me across town just so I can do my job..

Thanks.

Kale McClintock.
    Hardware Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 03:21 PM

The motherboard itself, if you can find one compatible with your existing processor and memory, might be found for under $100. However, there is likely to be no consistency for prices found for these boards as they have not been produced in mass for many years. If there is model information printed on your existing board, the same board can be Googled for.

A new basic quality motherboard, processor, and memory with a 3 year warranty would range $200-$300. The new motherboard also would have to support your existing drive interface, which is most likely IDE or Parallel ATA (PATA), instead of today's Serial ATA (SATA). Same goes for PCI expansion slots vs. today's PCI Express.

Wanting doesn't result in a job, or anything else. Action, a positive attitude, and clawing, scraping, and willing it so does. Unless you've asked every single person in your neighborhood about mowing grass, you're accepting defeat before even making any effort. Inquire about entry level jobs where your parents work. That at least might get your foot in the door. If you don't like hot, how about working at a pool? I did that for a stint one summer too cleaning up flotation gadgets and storing equipment after classes for a swim school. Or, I also stuffed advertisements in thousands of mailings for a computer company. Boring as heck, but it was air-conditioned. Point is there are plenty of opportunities for those willing to hunt and dig.

Jul 4, 2010, 02:31 PM
    All right, thank you so much, Ill look into this some more.

Jul 4, 2010, 03:59 PM
    Okay, I fixed my computer about half way :D
    The problem was, I plugged the green cord that connect to the motherboard from the power button into the wrong place :p
    Now I have one last problem(I hope)
    When I boot up my computer it runs great in all, but it goes to the windows XP screen, you know the one that pops up after your almost done with doing a system recovery. Well I did a destructive system recovery on accident and it deleted my Operating System(OS)
    I now have a new operating system (Still for Windows XP) and its just sitting at the screen still. I don't have any idea on how I can fix this problem. I have tried restarting my computer many times. Still I get the screen that says, "Windows XP: Please wait. With the little hour glass symbol instead of the arrow for my mouse.

Please get back to me ASAP.

Sincerely:

Kale McClintock.

P.S. my email is [email protected]

Email me anytime with information and help.

Thanks for all the help. :))
    Hardware Expert

Jul 4, 2010, 05:45 PM

How long did you leave it sit with the hour glass symbol? It may have been doing something which will usually be indicated by the hard drive activity light blinking (provided the LED cable is hooked up correctly to the motherboard). If it is doing something, leave it alone until it finishes. It if just sits there with no drive activity for a long period, it may be locking up. In either case, if nothing happens for a long time, say half hour, start over doing another system recovery, on purpose this time with your full attention given to the process.

Jul 4, 2010, 07:00 PM
    I did a system recovery again a few hours ago and I went to sleep. But a couple weeks ago I did a system recovery and I waited two hours, but it was still at the screen, I will try it one last time, If you have any further information, then I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
    Hardware Expert

Jul 5, 2010, 07:59 PM

If the system recovery process doesn't work, some options:
    1. Contact eMachines and troubleshoot system recovery.
    2. If you received an OEM Windows operating system disc too, try doing a basic install using it. After installation, drivers for hardware not included on the Windows disc may need to be manually downloaded and installed from eMachines' site or other vendors to get unrecognized hardware working.

There may be other hardware issues if the machine is hanging during setup. What is the history of the machine and how did it arrive in this state? Given that the motherboard power button cable wasn't attached correctly, there may be other construction details that are awry.
    allymussa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2011, 02:45 AM
    When I power on my computer it start booting and then it cut off

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer won't boot [ 11 Answers ]

I have recently been building a new system and finally purchased the cpu a few days ago. At first when I put everything together and booted it up all I got was a blank screen and the hard drive light constantly on as well as all fans spinning. So I took out the lithium battery to reset cmos and it...

HELP! My computer won't boot! [ 3 Answers ]

My computer got extreamly messed up... virus' spyware and such.. I got most of it off or what I knew was there.. except for one virse cssrs.exe and I tried to reboot to finish... and it just kept going in a cycle of 3 screens.. so I turned it off.. and now it won't turn back on. The cpu's lights...

My computer won't boot [ 2 Answers ]

One day I turned on my computer and was funcitoning fine but after my windows page showed up (Windows XP) It said So boot The Safe Mode and Start Windows Normally.. So I go to safe mode and it keeps on resarting itself and I don't know what to do. Ive Tried Reparing with my XP disc but my CD...

Computer won't boot up [ 11 Answers ]

When I turn on my computer the fans will run and everything but my computer will not boot up. I just get a black screen with a message on it saying something like Samsung Edie P/N 3240703425 overdrive BIOS. I can't even get into my BIOS to do antying it just sticks on this screen. My fans in my...

Trojan - COmputer won't boot [ 2 Answers ]

I have a trojan, and I was using virus software to clean it, but the computer froze, and I had to reboot. Now windows will not boot. Is there a way to fix this?

View more questions Search