Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Jun 30, 2010, 04:57 AM
    Old dog meeting cat
    My step daughter is bring her cat to stay with us for 6 weeks. My old spolied dog has never seen a cat. In his younger days he chased a few rabbitts that were in the yard. Is there anything we should do when bringing the two under the same roof. I do not want to force the cat to stay downstairs.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2010, 09:14 AM

He's either going to like the cat, or he isn't really.

Some dogs get along fine with them and you will never have a problem... others like to chase... and eat :eek:
    It's much easier with puppies than it is older dogs.

Before she brings to cat to your house try bringing a few of the cats things over if possible. Anything with the cats scent on it so the dog can get used to it.

Do you own a crate?
    If so I would try putting your dog in a crate and letting the cat walk around the room. Otherwise just put a leash on the dog and get him to sit next to you.
    That way the dog gets a good look at the cat, without being able to get to it... same with the cat, it gives it a chance to come up to the dog in the crate when it feels comfortable.

Depending on how obedient your dog is you can try having some treats on hand and getting the dog to focus on you while the cat is there.

Other than that I really can't give you much advice as I have never had a cat (allergies)

Jun 30, 2010, 02:38 PM

Thanks . I do not have a crate so the leash it is. He is pretty obedient ,but if the cat gets close enough he would fit in my dogs mouth. His chasing days are over.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2010, 03:12 PM

My GSD (and I love your dog's photo) is territorial. She does not want other animals on her territory. I would have a BIG problem with any other animal in the house. I have two rescued cockatiels and she absolutely hates them. She stares at them with narrowed eyes (has never made a grab at them) and I KNOW she's trying to figure out how to open the window and then their cage.

I do have a second dog but they grew up together.

Jul 1, 2010, 05:16 AM

When he was young we did search and rescue so he was always around other dogs. Also during open dog classes. He has been a homebody for the last few years and an only child since his older buddy died 4 years ago. I am hoping that have a new friend will be an easy adjustment.

Aug 11, 2010, 07:04 AM

Ok so it has been about three weeks since the cat came to stay. The cat is afraid of the dog and will not come downstairs. The dog sleeps upstairs and then the cat stays out of our room. They have seen each other a few times and the cat hisses and dashes away and the dog barks a couple of times and makes no attempt to chase it. The dog waits by the doorway to see the cat .

I guess they are going to just ignore each other. The cat is king of the upstairs by day and then lets the dog reign at night.

At least there is no fighting.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2010, 07:38 AM

That's good news! They don't have to be friends, they just have to put up with each other for a while.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog vs cat [ 16 Answers ]

I'm reposting this because I didn't realize I posted it in the wrong section before. Someone had emailed this to me. Enjoy! DOG DIARY 8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing! 9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing! 9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!

Cat meeting my new puppy [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Im in need of some advice I have a cat called Alfie who is almost 2 and it has just been me him and my hubby and now we are getting a puppy chihauhau. I'm a bit worried as alfie is a very strong minded cat and think's he's boss he's a very loving cat and loves 2 cuddle up and sleep on me but...

Dog and cat [ 2 Answers ]

How should I go about re-introducing my dog to my cat. My dog and my cat were the best of friends for the longest time, my cat would always walk by him and rub up against him. Also when we go for a walk at night my cat follows us(sometimes I have to carry her home so other dogs don't attack her)....

What Do I Do About My Cat Meeting My New Puppy [ 3 Answers ]

I'm getting a new puppy in September and I'm afraid my cat's not going to like him. For almost a year now it's just been my male cat, my boyfriend and I. I'm afraid getting a new puppy will upset the household. My cat's only been around a dog once and that was when we first got him as a kitten. I...

Cat and dog help! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, my family have a 6 month old beagle puppy and 3 cats. Well, my dog goes after the oldest cat, scruffy. She will hit him in the mouth(by the way she has nof ront claws) and he likes it. He will chase her but will not bite her. He will also go after the other cat cuddles who we just got. She...

View more questions Search