Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sc1202s Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2010, 09:57 AM
    Hurt at work, Dr ordered no work, must I use up my sick & vacation time
    When you are hurt at work must you use up your sick & vacation time.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2010, 10:27 AM

This would be a workers comp case - have you filed for benefits? Are you asking about the waiting period or for the entire period of disability?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2010, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sc1202s View Post
    When you are hurt at work must you use up your sick & vacation time.
    Hello sc:

If you want to be paid in FULL, yes. After that, you can make a WC claim. If you don't expect to go back to work anytime soon, you may NEED your sick and vacation pay NOW, rather than letting them keep it.

Otherwise, file now. Live out the waiting period. Get better, and go back to work. When you get there, you'll still have your vacation and sick leave rights.

If your boss is telling you that you must use it up before you make a claim, he's doing it because it costs him money when you file a workmans comp claim. Don't believe him. He's looking out for HIMSELF - not you.

Your position, visa vis this issue, should be dependent on whether you're going back to work, and whether, or not, you're going to SUE them. You didn't say anything about that. Why not?

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 29, 2010, 03:38 PM

You file a workers comp claim with the companies insurance carrier and also with the state workers comp department.

If the doctor said NO work, then no work, if light duty the company may have light duty for you to do.

In Georgia, you have to use one week of your personal time before workers comp starts paying you.

Since workers comp is not taxed, they pay you @ 60 percent of your wage ( which makes it close to your take home pay)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2010, 05:10 AM

I still don't know if OP is asking aobut using leave for the waiting period OR for the entire period of disability.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sick, Should I still work out? [ 1 Answers ]

5 days a week I do strength training (pilates). And everyday of the week I walk(incline) and run. Anyway, I've come down with a cold and my bones just ache, most days when I'm sick I can usually hit the tredmill or at least go out for a walk. But today is not one of those days.. So my question is,...

Employer refusing to pay vacation/sick time benefits. [ 1 Answers ]

I have been a CEO for 7 yrs for this company who has started to fall on hard times because they are part of the auto industry platform. I obtained the position of COO after the CEO died and have been the Senior Director since. I carry no stock in this company. Recently the board decided to...

Live & work in NY but work for same employer elsewhere.taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in NY and am employed in NY but am sent to work in other states when needed. Am I required to file taxes for every state they send me to work in, or just NY?

Do you work out at the gym when you're sick? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I just asked about how often to work out at the gym on another question, now I'm wondering if you work out when you're sick with the flu? Even though I've had an awful flu the past four days and have been off work (definitely wasn't fit for work) and still feel terrible, I've been going to...

Hurt at work fired hour later for something else [ 3 Answers ]

I have been having major issues with a new boss. Today at work someone mopped out a freezer unknown to me and the floor was a sheet of ice and islipped and my back is in severe pain. While I was filling out my first report of injury my boss came in and fired me for a non related issue can I still...

View more questions Search