Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2010, 07:08 AM
    Kitchen cabinets - light or dark suggestions
    I am in the middle of putting up a new home and its going up fast. I am trying to put together the kitchen colors. I browse around and find lighter colors are cheap looking. I came across some Walnut color cabinets and they looked so rich. I had picked a nice granite type counter equally as dark but with lighter browns marbled through out it. My husband thinks its going to appear to dark. I have white all around it and some tile back splash in beige colors. I thought I would look rich.

Does any one have a dark kitchen and what's your opinion? I know its what I like and I understand that. I just like browsing pictures and still go back to the dark. Any opinions would be great or pictures.

Also I was looking for a website to build a kitchen and haven't found one yet that's free to use. I don't need the actual set up I just wanted something so I can play my colors off each other.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 29, 2010, 07:13 AM

Sunflower, go to a place like Home Depot where they have kitchen units set up in many different styles and colours. Through these set ups, you can get a pretty good idea of what goes with what. I personally think your idea is great with the white background and beige backplash. It will look amazing !

Tick
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2010, 07:22 AM
    Hey tickle. That's what I have done. I find I go back to the dark. I have my dining room right on the side all open with sliding glass doors. There is light. I have this thing where I want my kitchen to have that "wow" factor and I get it with the dark. Its just its all cabinets and my sink is going on an island and the front side of the island will be all stone and each side will have pillars up to the ceiling. The front where the stone is will be higher up and its like a little bar/sitting area where I have a couple stools chosen for there. So its a lot of wood and a lot of dark. I think your right and it will look great. But I don't know anyone with dark in there kitchen and would love opinions on it.

My living room is all open off the kitchin and dining room and I have a crème carpet I am picking out so there is bright with that to.

I am just stressing over it because I have exhausted every cent I have to get this place together. What I pick has to be it for years.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2010, 07:22 AM

If u have an open floor plan or large kitchen what u posted will look very rich.

Dark cabinets have a tendency to close area in (visually).

I like your ideas.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting kitchen cabinets [ 3 Answers ]

I* would like to paint my kitchen cabinets. They are particle board with a vinyl overlay. The only paint I casn find is Krylon spray, but I'm afrain of "runs" on the doors. How can I do it with a brush? Do I need a special primer? I have a gallon of porch & floor {Latex} enamel that I want to use...

Kitchen Cabinets [ 7 Answers ]

Anything inside our home which relates to color or design or fashion is 99% left up to my wife. I don't object because I usually don't care and don't keep up with styles or color schemes, etc. etc. We're in the process of remodeling our kitchen by enlarging it by 110 sq ft. The allows room for...

Cleaning kitchen cabinets [ 4 Answers ]

In your opinion, what is a good degreaser for wood cabinets? It can be natural or chemical. Thanks in advance.

Kitchen cabinets [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone had experinece with THERMOFOIL kitchen cabinets? I saw some I like but I heard they could turn yellow over time if exposed to heat.

View more questions Search