Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sajjw Posts: 117, Reputation: 9

Jun 29, 2010, 05:58 AM
    Exercise Intolerance ?
    My 5 year old, slim, entire Irish Setter boy has definitely slowed down. In the past on a walk he would run and run and would only come back when I recalled him to go home. Now he runs for a while and then walks with me as if he is tired. The vet has listened to his heart and cannot hear a problem so said to monitor it. This was about 6 months ago. The dogs breeder says its just because he is now middle aged but I can't help but worry and wonder whether I should get some more tests done. Does anyone else have experience of a dog this age slowing down? Do you think I need to be concerned or am I just being silly?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2010, 09:36 AM

Never think you are being silly, you are doing all the right things to make sure your dogs are healthy.

Mine are all young-uns but a few of my mothers poodles started slowing down around that age. They still play on occasion and will randomly get a burst of energy (once a week maybe lol) but for the most part they are mopey little cows who would rather lay on the couch than go out in the yard.

Do you think the problem might be that he is being clingy towards you, or he just flat our doesn't want to run?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2010, 09:37 AM

The older dogs get, the slower they tend to get as well.

If the vet has deemed him healthy, I wouldn't waste the time or money on running more tests on a dog that isn't running at break-neck speed anymore.

I have sporting dogs too.. My old girls slowed down at 8 and 9 years of age.. their breed is a bit more amped up then your breed, but I believe its just old age setting in.

If needbe, you can always get him checked out for arthritis. Arthritis in any joint will definitely cause him to slow down.
    sajjw Posts: 117, Reputation: 9

Jun 29, 2010, 09:59 AM

No I'm sure it's not clingyness Shazmataz, he is tired. Once he has walked for a while and caught his breath he will go off again for a short while then come back and walk again. Its just so unlike how he used to be. What I'll do perhaps is go somewhere his wife can come off lead and see how their energy levels compare. She is 8 so if she outlasts him I'll know something is wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is my intolerance to toner? [ 2 Answers ]

Every time toner is put on my hair, even if it is only for 20 seconds (such as today) my hair turns ash, green, or gray! The stylist assured me that 20 seconds of toner could not have any affect on my hair, but I know me, my hair and all of the prior experiences I have had!! Does anyone have an...

Does absolute TRUTH equal intolerance? [ 54 Answers ]

I don't think it does! I believe in absolute TRUTH. I have been called "intolerant" because I disagree with people who don't believe in absolute truth. I believe homosexuality is WRONG and yet... I have Gay friends. I don't preach to them, but if they ask, I tell them the truth. I believe sex...

Intolerance, It should be considered a sin? [ 124 Answers ]

Okay, on the thread of reincarnation. Another member brought up an excellent point about intolerance. I was the one that started the thread of reincarnation and it went off topic. Which is expected I guess, but instead of continuing there I think this heading from another member is an excellent...

View more questions Search