Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jroberts Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 12:42 PM
    Bonus Payout for terminated employee
    Our company offers participation in a profit-sharing program, to be paid out after the books are closed at the end of the fiscal year. A participant in last years bonus pool is no longer with the company so I don't know if I should just send her a check or run it through payroll so that she/we pay the appropriate payroll taxes. Help!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 13, 2006, 12:54 PM
    If the bonus check is taxable income run it through payroll. You will need to withhold taxes and provide a W2.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 13, 2006, 01:20 PM
    You are being very nice, the company I used to work for, did not allow any employees who had left the company to remain in the profit sharing bonus program.

I would assume first that you would have to pro-rate it for the amount of time they worked there that year.

But since all money, even bonus money is taxable, all you do by not taking taxes out of this money is cause the employee issues in reporting it, and making you write out 1099 forms for the bonus money not ran though the payroll dept.

So basically all bonus should always be ran though payroll,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get off probation early or terminated [ 21 Answers ]

Is there any way you can have your probation terminated after you have met all your fines and community service.

How to have one parent rights terminated [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know how to have my daughters father rights terminated. He has nothing to do with her. Unless his sister takes her over there. But I just found out that when she goes over he has nothing to do with her. He pay childsupport but its nothing. He said he would sign his rights over but, I'm in...

How to account for advance given to terminated employee [ 2 Answers ]

The situation: an employee was given an advance by either check or materials charged to the company for personal use. The employee is unable to reimburse the company in a reasonable perior of time for the advance and the employee's final paycheck does not cover it. I'm unsure whether to run this...

I've terminated a lease but roommate refuses to move out [ 2 Answers ]

I have a roommate which I've given a 30 day notice in writing to terminate the lease agreement (I've posted on the door and had a witness sign it who viewed me posting it to the front of the door since the roommate and I don't get along and my fiancé an I want to live alone and start a family. ...

View more questions Search