Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needhelp32 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2010, 03:31 PM
    Terminating lease before move in
    I signed a lease a month ago to move in July 1. On June 25th I lost my job and called on the 26th to the new place (private owner) and asked for my deposit back. I was told they would not pursue me for the 1year but would use up my deposit (1.5 months) until it was rented and they would return any left over monies if it rented within 6 weeks. I said I would be okay with losing 2 weeks but not the whole deal. There is no clause about early termination in the lease. I called 4 days before the move in date to cancel. Can they take my lease? Distressed
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 28, 2010, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by needhelp32 View Post
    I... There is no clause about early termination in the lease. ... Can they take my lease? ...
    Yes, they can take your deposit.

What did you imagine the deposit was for?
    needhelp32 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2010, 04:17 PM
    Damages and unpaid rent - after I moved in. I just thought since I never moved in and canceled before the lease was in effect that I would be able to get my money back. I could certainly see I would lose the deposit if I had moved in and then tried to terminate. Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 28, 2010, 04:19 PM

They are being fair with you regarding the deposit. They are saying if they rent in less than 6 weeks they will give you the extra money back, nice. Actually they could continue to hold you to the lease beyond 6 weeks if they were making an honest effort to rent. They can also charge you for any addition advertising costs, so basically you are getting off on the light side. A lease is a legal binding document and not just starting after the move in date.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terminating a lease [ 4 Answers ]

All right, so I moved into an apartment three months ago. These apartments came with 37" flat screen TVs. We waited over 2 months for our TV when we were told it came with the apartment. Last week I get robbed, and that TV, along with a couple other things, is stolen! Besides that, there are always...

Terminating a lease [ 1 Answers ]

As a landlord, can I terminate a lease on a tenant? We are moving back to town and need our house back. We have given them over 30days notice. Can we do this or is it not legal?

Terminating my lease [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Orlando, FL. I am breaking my lease, the lease has a early termination clause, that the land is not willing to honor, claiming a new state law, which they claim gives them the right to override the lease I signed. Can the landlord do this legally without first notifying the tenants in...

Terminating lease [ 2 Answers ]

In December 2006 my daughter moved out of an apartment because it was a bad situation, unfortunately she did not document anything, and was afraid to express herself because of retaliation. The apartment was owned by a student who lived there and her mother. I signed the lease with my daughter...

Terminating a lease [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to terminate my year-long lease. I have many, many complaints about the apartment, but two of my most major ones are: the company has not cleaned up a mold problem I informed them about over a week ago and they are continually harassing us about owning a dog - threatening eviction -...

View more questions Search