Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jackdog1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2010, 07:20 AM
    What do I do if my dog won't sleep through the night
    We have a 3 year old Border Terrier that we have had since he was 12 weeks old. He was really easy to train. This spring he quit sleeping through the night. He might, but when he doesn't, he'll wake anywhere from 1-3 times between the hours of 1-5 a.m. He doesn't seem to need to do his business, but would rather play. He eats at 6:30 a.m. and again at 6:00 p.m. He gets exercise during the day, but not usually at night. Being a terrier, we think we are the alpha "dog" in the family, but are there ways to tell if we aren't?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2010, 04:51 PM

What do you do when he wakes up at night?
    And where does he sleep?

My fur kids sleep in crates in our bedroom at night, a while back one of them started crying in the middle of the night. I made the mistake of letting her out to the toilet. All it did was reinforce the behavior and before too long she started crying every single night, and then twice a night.

Enough was enough. The next time she started crying I just let out a low growl "Prada, QUIET!"
    It took a couple of nights of that but eventually she got the hint.

I find crating at night is the easiest way to get a good nights sleep. I use wire crates and put a heavy blanket over it to block out the light.
    I prefer wire over plastic as even with a blanket they allow for better air circulation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog won't sleep through the night anymore [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 17 month old Malti-poo since he was 11 weeks old. He has been crate trained since the beginning and adapted extremely well to the crate. He always sleeps in his crate at night. However, lately he wakes us up repeatedly throughout the night by yelping and whimpering. The 1st night, we...

My dog will not sleep at night [ 19 Answers ]

Help haven't slept in almost 2 month. We have had ozzy (bulldog) for 5 months now. 3 months he was great slept had a great routine. Left him with my brither n law for 4 days . Came back to a crazy dog at night... what to do? Went to vet, thaey are at a lose... help me

My Dog won't sleep through the night! [ 2 Answers ]

We have 2 dogs. Our little female Papillon sleeps though the night great! We have crates in our room for the 2 dogs. Our little male Pap won't sleep through the night. They are both treated the same during the day, both go to bed at the same time. But the male gets up every 1 1/2 hours to 3...

5yo Dog won't sleep through the night [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 5yo Westie/ Shi Tzu Mix. She slept in her crate until about 6 months ago. Since then she comes into my bed at night time. The problem is that she gets out of bed anywhere from 1-10 times during the night. She doesn't have to go potty, she gennerly wants to go into the living room or just...

View more questions Search