Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmstabile Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 10:35 AM
    A hole in the ground
    I have a drain in the floor of my basement that has given me some problems. Once, I had sewerage back up through that drain and my basement was filled with human waste. A plumber came in and snaked our main pipe at an entry at the bottom of the basement stairs, which fixed the problem.

Four times in a period of three years however, the floor drain backed up as a result of heavy rains. I had a plumber come in yesterday to see if there was anything he could do about that pipe, and he mentioned, and showed me, that the drain is really just a hole in the floor. He dug up moist ground and his arm was all the way in there, no pipe!

I had a contractor come in to tell me that I needed drains throughout the perimeter of may basement and a sump pump. Good idea, but expensive and it doesn't address the seepage through some of the concrete slab and drain (hole in the ground).

What should I do about this? I'm considering abandoning it, filling it with concrete, and applying RadonSeal and Lastiseal to the concrete slab and walls. Are there any consequences to that? Also, if it is not hooked up to any pipes, how did sewerage back up into the drain? This thing is driving me crazy! I'm cleaning up mold this weekend, but I have to fix this seepage thing once and for all!

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 13, 2006, 05:12 PM
    Have you considered a French Drain, (see image) or a sump pump? To learn more about French drains click on; http://landscaping.about.com/cs/lazy...nch_drains.htm Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drilling a hole in glass [ 3 Answers ]

How do I drill a hole in glass? Do I need a special bit or tool?

Hole in bath tub [ 1 Answers ]

I Have a small hole in the bottom of the bath tub just above the water drain is there some kind of putty I could use to repair this

Septic hole [ 3 Answers ]

How can I keep a septic tank in ground ( concrete walls ) healthy. Any tips, I heard there are some chemicals one can use to break the "caca" down. Also I hear too much water is no good... any recommendations?? New at this. Thanks:p

Hole for Flange is too big [ 1 Answers ]

I just read the thread about the rotten sub floor and I have a similar issue. I have a pier and beam house. The waste pipe comes up through a hole in the floor and (before removing the toilet) the toilet made contact with the flange and was sealed with a wax seal. The only unique issue here is...

View more questions Search