Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanMearle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2010, 04:21 PM
    After a large maple tree limb was removed to the tree, the area is rotting. Is it OK
    We have a large beautiful maple tree in the center of our back yard. Several years ago the local power came through and cut one of the large limbs close to the power line clear to the tree itself. Since then in the years since, the spot has rotted and is not receding into the tree mostly because of it holding water from rain. We have had several suggestions on what we should do. One is to drill a hole farther down in the tree so the water will run out and not remain in the rotted area to stop it from continuing to rot. The 2nd was to let it dry and then fill it completely with concrete. The people who did the cut say not to worry about it. We have recently built a deck and sliding doors off the house and do not want to lose the shade or the beauty of the tree. What is the best way to keep this tree? We do not want to lose it at any cost. Thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 04:22 PM

We always used tar to seal and allow it to heal and not hold water
    DanMearle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2010, 04:25 PM

Thank you for the quick response, but the problem is the are had already receded several inches so tarring it would do little to help it now. Thank you, anyway
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2010, 07:03 PM

OK here's the deal. I've done quite a few repairs like this on a tree.

1. Clean out all of the rotton wood and insects.
    2. Only if you have to use a mild spray insecticide.
    3. Let dry thoroughly
    4. Use either or both tree wound dressing or spray undercoating to create a light film everywhere. Let dry thouroughly.

Don't use concrete, but rather use Rockite. You can apply in sections. The first objective is to allow water to drain and or sit inside the tree. This stuff is an expansion cement and thus it expands when it cures. True Value hardware carries the product. When you apply it, TRY to make the patch about 1/4" inside the tree shape. If you have to use forms, do so. The tree the will want to grow around the patch.

Unfortunately, you now have a wounded tree and that means inspections and continuous repairs which are not extensive.

Once the cement sets, again coat with undercoating or tree wound dressing.

It basically means keeping water out of the cracks which could freeze in the winter and check to make sure the bark around the wound is sound.

The success of the repair depends on keeping the water out and providing an opportunity for the tree to heal itself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oak tree hollow trunk & limb repair [ 2 Answers ]

I have several Oak trees with a hollow spot that might cause it to break and fall. These trees are in an area around my house that are key locations one being the main shade over my deck. Removal is going to be my last resort. Has anyone had success repiring a problem like this? Thanks.

Maple tree [ 3 Answers ]

Power company came by wanting to trim some trees near power line , I was afraid they may try to trim a maple tree so I made sure I said they could not ,he asked if the could trim a dead branch .(period) we agreed , they cut an entire half of the tree like right down the middle so it is like flat on...

Covering large maple tree roots [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 26 year old Maple tree in our backyard that has huge roots above ground covering a portion of our yard. How might we cover them up without damage to the tree, but in a way to make the yard more attractive. Thanks!!

Maple Tree ? [ 3 Answers ]

There is a red and a yellow maple tree? They are green all summer. The red one has bright red leaves in the fall and the yellow one is bright yellow in the fall. In the spring they have buds all over the tree the red is bright red buds and the yellow is bright yellow buds! I don't know the correct...

View more questions Search