Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikado3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2010, 03:37 PM
    No red wire in junction box
    Installing a timer forutside light. Box only has white, black, green. I know black to black white to white; but timer also has a red wire; I have no red wire in box. What do I connect the red wire from timer to? Right now I just capped it off, but on manual I cannot turn the light on
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2010, 04:01 PM
    Well... I'll assume you are replacing a switch... the power to the switch would be connected to the black lead, all the whites would be tied together and the red wire would go to the light. The green wire gets connected where the other green wire(s) are, either with a wire nut or to a gounding screw in the box. Make sense?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikado3 View Post
    installing a timer forutside light. box only has white, black, green. i know black to black white to white; but timer also has a red wire; i have no red wire in box. what do i connect the red wire from timer to? right now I just capped it off, but on manual i cannot turn the light on
    This is a switch loop. There is no neutral in this box. If the instructions say to wire the white to a neutral you cannot use this timer in this box.

What is the brand and model?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2010, 09:00 PM

Intermatic make an inwall timer that would work for this if you are not using flourescents.
    http://www.intermatic.com/products/timers.aspx
    Then click on in wall timers
    This is nice:
    http://www.intermatic.com/products/t...0switches.aspx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Red Wire in ceiling junction box [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to install a chandlier in an existing ceiling junction box, however, the previous home owner did not have a light fixture attached. There are four wires coming out of the box, white, red, black and red. This junction box is connected to a wall switch with a dimmer. What do I connect...

How do I splice #6 wire in a junction box? [ 5 Answers ]

How do I splice #6 wire in a junction box ?

Wiring a fan with a red, black and white wire in junction box [ 5 Answers ]

Yes, this is the situation. I bought a fan with the following wires: White, black, blue (down light) and gray (up light). I do not have a down light. The junction box comes with a red wire, black wire and white wire. There are two wall switches to control the light and to control the fan...

Panel Box Red Wire [ 5 Answers ]

The electrician pulled a red wire out of the panel box and into one of the bedrooms. There are no 240 volt outlets in the bedrooms. What is the reason for this and is it acceptable? We live in Florida. We have conduit in our house, not Romex. The bedroom has 1/2" EMT conduit. There are seven...

Junction box for #2 aluminum wire [ 3 Answers ]

I need to join a new 100A feed on #2 aluminum wire to an existing #2 wire running from the panel. So this is actually #2 alum triplex in both cases plus a #8 bare copper ground. The junction will take place in an access panel in the wall where the two PVC conduits meet. What size junction box do...

View more questions Search