Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zcourt6 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2010, 07:32 AM
    A judgment was issued in NY STATE IN 2001 I moved to FL in 1995 never served.
    Lawyer sent me a letter 4/2010 for collection. This is the first time I became aware of
    The debt. I do not know what the debt is for.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 07:36 AM

You can ask and have the right to see what the debt is for. If a judgement was entered then you have the right to see it. Have you informed them that you contest the debt until you know what it is supposed to be?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 08:57 AM

You reply and say that you don't owe the debt, have no idea what it is for and tell them that they need to provide you proof of the debt.

You need to contact the court where the judgement is at and find out the facts of the case
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2010, 01:55 PM

And find out what is claimed to be legal service.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 27, 2010, 02:55 PM

Did you confirm that a judgement was awarded?

Jul 3, 2010, 08:43 AM
    Comment on califdadof3's post
    Thank you. COntacted the court and filed Motion to Vacate the Judgment

Jul 3, 2010, 08:44 AM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Thank you. COntacted the court and filed Motion to Vacate the Judgment

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served In Judgment Issue [ 2 Answers ]

I got a letter the other day from an attorney notifying me that they are garnishing my wages. Upon investigating this, there was a judgment against me from 04' on a credit card debt. If I would have been aware of the judgment and the law at that time I believe I could have had the debt dismissed as...

Judgement Issued, Not Properly Served, What Can I Do Now? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in California. I received a summons in a hand written envelope with no return address. The summons was dated April 3, and the envelope was post marked June 12th. The summons stated that I had 30 calendar days to reply to it. Since 30 calendar days had already gone by, and the summons was...

Judgment filled against me and not served [ 3 Answers ]

I live in NC and had a judgment issued for a motorcycle loan, I was not served and I believe a default judgment has been filled against me. Has my tax refund be garnished? Thanks!

Confusion over nyc issued 1099 Misc form, NJ issued W2, and state taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am a canadian citizen and a non resident alien, graduate student in NJ. I reside in NJ and worked as an independent contractor in NYC over last summer. Since I worked on campus for a few months lst year, I was issued a W2 form for $732 in the state of NJ. I also worked as an...

View more questions Search