Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kgrzeca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 07:47 AM
    CPU at 100 and unsure about spyware
    Hello I don't really know much about computers but this is my problem, for a while now I have noticed my computer running a very high CPU usage - like 99 or 100, and this I think is directly related to my use of Internet Explorer. I opened Windows Task Manager and in the processes I saw that iexplorer.exe was running at about 97, 98, or 99. I also have had problems when I am shutting down that weird programs are not responding and the computer is asking me if I want to close them, things like ccApp.exe (which might have to do with my virus scan) and something that is just a bunch of boxes (like my computer doesn't have the font to read the characters) and zeros, too many of them to count. I went into msconfig and looked in the startup and found two things, one that was the ccApp.exe and another one that didn't even have a name - both said that they were part of the current version of windows. So whatever I disabled them from the startup and I seem to not have the high CPU now with Internet Explorer, but these things could either be some sort of virus or something or they could be important and really have something to do with windows I have no real idea. Also I am running IE 7 but I think that this happened sometimes with IE 6, I'm not really sure. I have hijackthis, but I don't know if I should post the log, and I don't know how to read it on my own. So if any of you could tell me if there is something there, or if you have another idea about what may be causing this problem I would really appreciate the help. Thanks :)
    -Kate
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2006, 07:57 AM
    Sounds like spyware. Nothing in windows should be running at 100% unless you are doing something huge like compressing files.

Doing a full system and registry scan with your virus scanner is the first thing - it may take a while but it's needed.

Then you need to run a spyware catcher. I recommend Lavasoft's Ad-Aware.. I don't have experience with any others though Im sure there are other good ones out there.

If they are running through internet explorer then these 2 steps should fix it as long as you're up to date.

CcApp is run by norton - you need it for virus protection: http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/pr...ccapp.exe.html
    But the other one sounds very suspect.

Hope this helps..
    kgrzeca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 08:41 AM
    Thanks, I have some spyware removal stuff, um like Norton does some, right? And I have windows defender. Should I still add these too, and scan again?
    -Kate
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2006, 09:34 AM
    I think norton does a little...

Here is a link to Ad-Aware, it's free to try. http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html
    eastonwatcher Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kgrzeca
    Hello I don't really know much about computers but this is my problem, for a while now I have noticed my computer running a very high CPU usage - like 99 or 100, and this I think is directly related to my use of Internet Explorer. I opened Windows Task Manager and in the processes I saw that iexplorer.exe was running at about 97, 98, or 99. I also have had problems when I am shutting down that weird programs are not responding and the computer is asking me if I want to close them, things like ccApp.exe (which might have to do with my virus scan) and something that is just a bunch of boxes (like my computer doesn't have the font to read the characters) and zeros, too many of them to count. I went into msconfig and looked in the startup and found two things, one that was the ccApp.exe and another one that didn't even have a name - both said that they were part of the current version of windows. So whatever I disabled them from the startup and I seem to not have the high CPU now with Internet Explorer, but these things could either be some sort of virus or something or they could be important and really have something to do with windows I have no real idea. Also I am running IE 7 but I think that this happened sometimes with IE 6, I'm not really sure. I have hijackthis, but I don't know if I should post the log, and I don't know how to read it on my own. So if any of you could tell me if there is something there, or if you have another idea about what may be causing this problem I would really appreciate the help. Thanks :)
    -Kate
    Go to CNET.COM. Download a free registery cleaner and the free spybot program. Run both programs and get rid of everything it finds. Also go to i.e. 7 tools and select delete cookies. This should help a-lot. If you are running Windows XP/ restore the computer to a date when it worked best. Then do the spybot and the reg. cleaner, also us a ad-ware program free from c-net also.
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

May 8, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Hmm Avg anti Virus and spyware can help but there are other things that can make your CPU run very high. Running of programms that are to high for your processing power, Running multiply programs at the same time, Sometimes downloading of stuff. Not defragging or clearing internet temp files, Remove all cookies as well, Also I don't know how fast your computer is or it's CPU speed and ram but the more full a Hard Drive is the slower a Computer goes to, I other thing depending on your Operatng System your windows could be to big for your computer slowing it down as Xp and Vista if you do have this need more CPU speed and ram than 95/98 . The biggest one could be viruses and spyware working together to slow your computer down so that the CPU has to work harder. All this thing or multiply's of this thing could bring a computers CPU usage up. Hope this helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CPU usage at 100% [ 20 Answers ]

My computer recently started to be very slow. I have a 800 mghz pentium. I'm running XP. I did a complete virus scan with Norton and found nothing. When I look at the processes, I can see the CPU is running at 100% most of the time. There's no specific file that is using all the power. Why is...

Cpu at 100% always [ 12 Answers ]

Today one of my desktop computers froze up. Pentium 4, 3.0 GHZ, 1GB DDRAM, 160GB HDD, XP PRO SP2 After hitting ctrl/alt/del and checking task manager I have noticed that explorer.exe is using 99%-100% of the CPU all the time from initial boot. This includes booting into SAFE MODE. I have...

CPU Usage @ 100% [ 3 Answers ]

Every time I log onto the Internet, my CPU usage goes from like 2% to 100%. Once the page loads, it dies back down, but then when I click a link and try to load another page it goes back to 100%. Plus, the Comcast logo spins, then stalls, then spins, then stalls until the page loads. It never...

My cpu is at 100 and don't know why [ 4 Answers ]

My cpu is at 100 and is slowing everything down I've defragged my computer, scanned for viruses, and restarted. It just started doing this. Task manager says system idle process is taking up all the cpu. Ireally hope you can help!

Cpu load 100% [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there, Lately my PC has been running at 100% CPU Load constently. It is the 'System' process that is taking up the load. I tracked it down to the driver ACPI.sys, using process explorer. OS Windows XP Pro CPU P4 2.8Ghz Can anyone think of a way I can fix this problem?

View more questions Search