Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jumpin22 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2010, 10:41 PM
    Death at prison
    When the DCI investigates a suspious death at a prison, do the inmates that the DCI believe know something about it, have a right to ask for an attorney?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2010, 03:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpin22 View Post
    do the inmates that the DCI believe know something about it, have a right to ask for an attorney?
    Hello j:

If they're charged, they do. If they're just being questioned, nahhh.

excon
    jumpin22 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2010, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello j:

If they're charged, they do. If they're just being questioned, nahhh.

excon
    It's been 15 days as of today, since this death happened. How long could it possibly take for the DCI to figure out what happened. I thought all prisons were camera packed, so why wouldn't they be able to find out how this man died? There are 9 men being held in separate cells. No one is allowed to speak to them and there are no contact visits with family members. This is all very scary and I am worried for the family.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 08:07 PM

No, most prisons don't have cameras everywhere, in the dozens of prisons I have worked at or been in, most had few cameras anywhere,

Next officers will start looking for cover, and the normal statement will be " I have no knowledge of said event" since they do not want to be found liable for any policy violation.

Inmates even if they know something will never make any statements for either fear or because you just don't snitch.

I know here in GA, and also in several other prisons, the prison staff does not do the actual investigation, but have the state police do the actual investigation.

And like any murder investigation it can take months as they follow leads inside and outside the prison

The men you mention will be held in "lock down" or max security for several reasons, one for their own protection, but also to allow them a chance to snitch out what happened, in a more private way. *** but normally they are not all that private, since even in lock down they hear or get some knowledge of what is going on.

They are allowed to keep them in lock down ( they will call it protective custody) for longer periods, but there will be rules as to letters and phone calls, and even visits at some point. A lot will depend on what these 9 are suppose to know.
    If there were 10 people in one room, and one is dead, all 9 know basically what happened so the prison will view them as withholding evidence on the crime.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Death Certificate - Cause of Death Recorded Incorrectly [ 8 Answers ]

Is it common practice to write down on the death certificates the wrong reason for cause of death? And if so, why do doctors do that? This happen to my dad a few weeks ago and I'm just trying to understand. Thanks in advance, Scott

My prison [ 3 Answers ]

I've been a recluse for years and have lost my drive for everything.I don't know what to do.I'd rather die than face the world-- Im insane over this and could use any advice

Death and credit card death. [ 3 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

Death and credit card death. [ 1 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

Prison [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, quick question: Is prison a good idea?

View more questions Search