Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Jun 26, 2010, 06:08 PM
    What is a "real" Christian?
    Today on Yankees Entertainment Sports Network (YES) I watched Michael Kay interview Mike Tyson. After listening to the back and forth between the two men, Tyson said something that made me weep. He said “'Sometimes I'm filthy. I'm wretched. And sometimes I'm not so bad. Mike Tyson ain't nothing special. Just another human being, trying to get along. Sometimes I feel like the littlest things will make me cry. I feel that I am a mess sometimes. I believe that if we come into the world without being humble, we will be broken." Michael Kay then asked him "Are you happy?" Tyson responded "I don't even know what that means. Happiness in my opinion is knowing yourself... knowing your weaknesses and your strengths."

I was so struck by this man's rawness and openness about his essential humanity that I actually cried. Some people despise Mike Tyson for the things he has done. Some people think of him as a circus act and a joke of a human being. I know that Mike Tyson has not lived an exemplary life. But he knows that too and admits such. I don't know if Tyson would consider himself a Christian but if anyone were near to the kingdom of God, I believe Mike Tyson would be.

As I go through my own life, I find that I identify more with the Mike Tyson's of the world than with anybody else. I have been a moral failure in so many respects that I have long since given up counting my sins. Tyson's comments about him being "sometimes filthy and wretched" are comments that resonate with me because I look at my own thoughts and attitudes/actions and wonder what kind of person am I? Frankly, I am frightened sometimes by the person I am.

What I appreciate about Tyson is the real and honest commentary he gives about his own humanity. Even though his commentary reveals dark things about himself, I can't help but feel that there is something good about his commentary...at least he sees himself for what he really is. I think that attitude ought to be true of someone who claims to be a Christian. When I see someone like a Mike Tyson be so honest about who he is, it inspires me to be more honest about who I am to myself. The promises of forgiveness and eternal life in Jesus Christ seem all the more appealing when you come face to face with who you are.

I have grown to really love the following parable told by Jesus:

"He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.' But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”

More and more I identify with the tax collector because I have come to understand that I have no moral leg to stand on when it comes to God. If he isn't merciful to me, I have no other hope. God help me to be that tax collector.

What are your thoughts about this? Thanks.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2010, 01:35 PM

Jakester,

You are such a sweetie. I found your post to be honest and humble but it also made me a little sad. It is my opinion that until the Lord Jesus really works in our hearts and shows us that without HIM we can do nothing, we will not grow as a Christian.

The fact that you understand that in you ( that is your flesh or old nature) there is nothing good and you need mercy means you are light years ahead of many people and even many Christians. The bible teaches us that we can't improve the flesh. We are ALL wretched and filthy.. we are ALL in the same boat. That is why the Lord Jesus died and rose, so that we can be a new creature in HIM. We are truly spiritually born again.

The only thing I would say to you.. . remember what the Apostle Paul said... forgetting those things which are behind... PRESS ON! You are sealed with the Holy Spirit and when God looks at YOU, he now sees perfection because you are IN Christ Jesus. WOW! That is sooo cool don't you think! :)

You might not be where you need to be in your christian walk Jake, but thank God you aren't where you were and PRESS ON! Rejoice my dear friend, you have a great future in Christ Jesus.

Tess
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 05:27 PM

Jake,
    I was also thinking a "real" Christian goes through what the Apostle Paul experienced in Romans 7. Sometimes I get stuck in Romans 7 but thank the LORD that Paul wrote Romans 8. The Lord Jesus is our answer.

Also, I don't think it is good to dwell on all the things we do wrong. It is exactly what the enemy would like us to do because it keeps us down and thinking about ourselves. I think we need to separate our WHO from our DO. I have done some seriously boneheaded things. Things that many NON christians wouldn't DREAM of doing. I once shared what I did in a so called Christian group ( it was a small group called Free Indeed for women who were in a addicted lifestyle). I mean I heard all KINDS of stories of what sin and addictions did in their lives.. but when I shared what I had done.. I actually had people gasp. Now it WAS boneheaded!! But NOT anymore than anyone else, in fact looking back it was nothing compared to everyone else. But isn't it just like the enemy to make us think that our DEED was far more despicable? I was mortified! I was driving home feeling bad about what a low down sinner I was and then it dawned on me you can't put sin on a scale. All Adam did was eat a bite of fruit from a tree he was told not to eat from. Our GOD HATES sin... small or big.. it brings the same results. AND we ALL need mercy and grace.

God says I am the righteousness of Christ Jesus. I don't FEEL like I am but He says it is so. When he sees me, he sees me just as if I had never sinned! He looks at me as PERFECTION. He calls me a precious jewel and thinks on ME. Now THAT inspires me. THAT makes me WANT to do right.

Also, ( and I will stop preaching)... :)

I love this verse prophecised in Ezekiel 36:26-27 speaking of us ( the church)

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.

HE DOES IT ALL! He gives me a new heart.. he gives me the Holy spirit and HE causes me to walk and follow him.

Keep your eyes on JESUS. What a savior!
    steveME Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 27, 2011, 06:38 AM
    I have a strong sense that Mike will become a Christian someday. In fact, I put my faith in gear and wrote Mike a letter about a year and a half ago telling him I believed he would become a Christian.
    I think Mike is a very honest guy but he needs to put his faith in Jesus if he wants everlasting life. Christ works on us afterwards one step at a time. He knows our hearts and He sees our desire to please Him. Never give up no matter how many times we fail I think is what God is really looking for. God bless and God save Mike.
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Mar 27, 2011, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by steveME View Post
    I have a strong sense that Mike will become a Christian someday. In fact, I put my faith in gear and wrote Mike a letter about a year and a half ago telling him I believed he would become a Christian.
    I think Mike is a very honest guy but he needs to put his faith in Jesus if he wants everlasting life. Christ works on us afterwards one step at a time. He knows our hearts and He sees our desire to please Him. Never give up no matter how many times we fail I think is what God is really looking for. God bless and God save Mike.
    SteveMe - wow, man, I really appreciate your comments. That's so cool that you wrote to him because I thought about doing something similar. Where did you write to him at? I'd like to get his address.
    steveME Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 27, 2011, 01:14 PM
    Comment on jakester's post
    Sorry, I found his address but I don't want to post it. I don't think he'd appreciate it. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just don't think it's my place to do that.
    Pray for Mike though and tell others to pray for him. If Mike becomes a Christian, imagine how awesome that would be and imagine all the people it would affect. God bless.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

"Christian Rock"? Er music [ 19 Answers ]

YouTube - Blessed Be The Name Of The Lord - Vineyard Music I grew up RC, when I started going back to church with my wife it was a small traditional one. The music was the older traditional classic standards. Nothing wrong with that but it never got me going like some rock or pop songs do. ...

What christian male group sings the song " I Know" and what's the cd name. [ 1 Answers ]

What christian male group sings the song " I Know" and what's the cd name.

View more questions Search