Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nurse111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2010, 09:10 AM
    Beginning AC research for 24 year old 1 and 1/2 story home with gas hot water heat
    We need some sort of A/C but have numerous logistical problems. First we have 3 very small upper bedrooms(1 and 1/2 story house)ranging from 10x11, 11x12, and 12x14 all clustered around a small upstairs bathroom. To make matters worse is that we have an open foyer where all the heat rises and gets trapped in our bedrooms. We also have basically no cross ventilation and we have roll out casement windows so no window air conditioning units apply. The downstairs is almost double the size and we have 1 mounted air conditioner in a back wall that cools 2 rooms.(By the way the downstairs is bearable because of excellent cross ventilation and sun position) We have gas hot water baseboard heat and live in an extremely moist swampy area in Pennsylvania. We used to have a "whole house fan" mounted at the top of the steps which did the job previously but the humidity we have with the lack of real coolness at night makes it useless plus the hot daytime heat. We do not have a finished basement. We got estimates from a local supply company for the air conditioning but it is showing 2 intakes and 2 outakes in a room as small as the 10 by 11 with 7inch and 8 inch pipe running but the "registers" are round and about 13 inches wide. I don't want the ceiing in the small room looking like something from Star Wars.(4 registers in the ceilings) Finally the question, would a heat pump with a/c working wall mounts be more feasible or should we go with the traditional central air-also my husband is just talking about central airing the upstairs only. Is that realistic or just absurd? Please help. If this was your house what would you do? Selling is not an option. Thanks in advance.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nurse111 View Post
    We need some sort of A/C but have numerous logistical problems. First we have 3 very small upper bedrooms(1 and 1/2 story house)ranging from 10x11, 11x12, and 12x14 all clustered around a small upstairs bathroom. To make matters worse is that we have an open foyer where all the heat rises and gets trapped in our bedrooms. We also have basically no cross ventilation and we have roll out casement windows so no window air conditioning units apply. The downstairs is almost double the size and we have 1 mounted air conditioner in a back wall that cools 2 rooms.(By the way the downstairs is bearable because of excellent cross ventilation and sun position) We have gas hot water baseboard heat and live in an extremely moist swampy area in Pennsylvania. We used to have a "whole house fan" mounted at the top of the steps which did the job previously but the humidity we have with the lack of real coolness at night makes it useless plus the hot daytime heat. We do not have a finished basement. We got estimates from a local supply company for the air conditioning but it is showing 2 intakes and 2 outakes in a room as small as the 10 by 11 with 7inch and 8 inch pipe running but the "registers" are round and about 13 inches wide. I don't want the ceiing in the small room looking like something from Star Wars.(4 registers in the ceilings) Finally the question, would a heat pump with a/c working wall mounts be more feasable or should we go with the traditional central air-also my husband is just talking about central airing the upstairs only. Is that realistic or just absurd? Please help. If this was your house what would you do? Selling is not an option. Thanks in advance.

Your local people can see exactly what you have and do a manual J and D for your home to be sure the system will work correctly. See item below
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf How to pick a Contractor.pdf (309.7 KB, 119 views)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What would cause a gas hot water furnace to heat the upstairs and not the downstairs [ 0 Answers ]

We have a gas hot water furnace with one themastat the furnce heat in the upstairs of the house it is actually to hot and the down stairs is freezing

Weil McLain Gas Heat & Hot Water Boiler [ 1 Answers ]

What does error code E-19 mean?

How many ton ac/heat unit I need for 1700 sq. Ft 2 story home? [ 1 Answers ]

I have 1700 sq.ft 2 story home. What size in tons I need for heating cooling?

Leaking copper hot water pipe in ceiling between in attic of 2nd story home [ 1 Answers ]

March 9th 2008, has leak in copper hot water pipe. Pipe is between the 2nd story ceiling and attic. Had is repaired by licensed plumber same date. New leak discovered today (a week later - March 16th) same copper pipe, but different location. About three feet removed from first leak. Home is...

Gas hot water heat switch on pilot is lit [ 3 Answers ]

I have two gas hot water heaters running in tandem. Believe it or not we run out of hot water. One of the heater has the pilot on but will not turn on, even if I turn up the temp. compared to the other one the tube that runs from the temp dial, the part that sits by the pilot light looks like an...

View more questions Search