Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gdecave Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2010, 05:21 AM
    I have an EIN, do I also need a resellers ID to buy wholesale without paying tax
    I make and sell items at trade shows. I buy supplies to make these items. I have an EIN. Can I use this number to buy these supplies without paying sales tax, or do I need a resellers tax ID
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 07:53 AM

A EIN gives you no special right to buy without paying taxes, you will need a state tax ID number where you file and pay the taxes to that account on items you sell.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2010, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gdecave View Post
    I make and sell items at trade shows. I buy supplies to make these items. I have an EIN. Can I use this number to buy these supplies without paying sales tax, or do I need a resellers tax ID
    Hello g:

You aren't reselling your SUPPLIES. You're using them up to make YOUR product. There IS a way to get them WITHOUT paying taxes, though. It's just not the way you're thinking...

Pay the sales taxes at the store, and keep track of them. You'll be able to deduct the cost of your supplies from your federal income tax on your schedule "C", and you'll be able to deduct the sales taxes on your state and local tax returns.

excon

Jun 26, 2010, 11:42 AM

Thanks Chuck and excon. I tried to get a tax ID online, but I'm always directed to an EIN form. My business is new, so I haven't filed yet, and the sales I made were at the shows in other states. Should I just go to an attorney?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2010, 12:47 PM

Hello again, g:

If I were you, I'd go to a CPA. He's going to be cheaper than a lawyer. He'll know what licenses you'll need better than a lawyer would. He'll get your EIN or your Tax ID - whichever you need. And, he can set up your books for you and answer these tax questions better than a lawyer can.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 01:03 PM

Sales tax numbers come from the state, ( the Dept of Rev) for the state. Nothing to do with IRS and Feds.

You may be able to online, (or maybe not) depending on your state.

Once you get it, you are required to file your sales tax ( the tax you charge people for the items you sell at your booth)

Also remember if you have been selling things for some time, you were suppose to already have that number and should have been charging tax on items you are selling.

Jun 26, 2010, 01:10 PM

Thank you Chuck and excon. You have both been very helpful.
    Geraldine

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My father passed1/2010, I have EIN for 2009 taxes. Do I need another EIN for Estate? [ 1 Answers ]

My father passed 1/9/10, in the state of Virginia. I have EIN for his 2009 taxes. Do I need another EIN for his Family Trust?

I need to know the rules which applie in California to buy house by paying back tax [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know where to start to purchase a house based on back taxes in California.

About ITIN and EIN (tax related) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a Brazilian living in Brazil (non-resident alien). I am filling an LLC in Nevada right now. I will need a bank account, so I was told I need the EIN. There are 2 ways get the EIN, I would like to ask you if one of them is illegal or may give problems. 1st - the slower one - apply...

View more questions Search