Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    megirl Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Jun 26, 2010, 03:11 AM
    Coworker you like is avoiding you
    There is a coworker I like since last year.we work in different departments.I at first didn't want to let him know about my feelings because I was shy and scared. We used to talk and smile (even laugh) whenever he came to my office.

I decided to be courageous and to let him know about my feelings.I therefore asked a colleague I work with to ask him if he is interested.he said he doesn't know what to do as he is confused.My colleague asked him twice and the answer was the same.he said he has someone in his life but is not too sure about that person either.

He recently resumed work after a long holiday and he has been avoiding me :( he didn't come to the office at all.I saw him on Wednesday and as soon as he saw me, he quickly walked away. I was thinking of asking him about his final decision one last time but I no more want to do so as I feel so hurt... can someone plzz tell me what would you have done in my place? Should I keep waiting for an answer or no...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 04:40 AM

I would definitely have to say to let the matter drop. This person would rather not pursue a friendship with you. Why did you ask someone else to approach him? He may be a little creeped out by your attention and doesn't want it.

Tick
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2010, 05:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by megirl View Post
    there is a coworker i like since last year.we work in different departments.I at first didn't want to let him know about my feelings because i was shy and scared. We used to talk and smile (even laugh) whenever he came to my office.

I decided to be courageous and to let him know about my feelings.I therefore asked a colleague I work with to ask him if he is interested.he said he doesn't know what to do as he is confused.My colleague asked him twice and the answer was the same.he said he has someone in his life but is not too sure about that person either.

he recently resumed work after a long holiday and he has been avoiding me :( he didn't come to the office at all.i saw him on wednesday and as soon as he saw me, he quickly walked away. I was thinking of asking him about his final decision one last time but i no more want to do so as i feel soo hurt....can someone plzz tell me what would you have done in my place? Should I keep waiting for an answer or no...
    Are you always so shy around men? It's not very "courageous" if someone else did the asking is it?

Maybe this guy really does have someone else, and doesn't want to lead you on.

Or...

Good luck to you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 07:50 AM

Yes, if you had not said "work" I would have guessed JR HIGH, asking someone to ask someone, that is not normal "adult" relationships, Normally a person merely talks to the other, asks them for coffee or a lunch and see what happens.

But yes, they don't want to hurt or address the issue and are avoiding it. And "asking twice" if the answer was not yes at first, it should have droped
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    yes, if you had not said "work" I would have guessed JR HIGH, asking someone to ask someone, that is not normal "adult" relationships,
    Yes, maturity level did occur to me too.

Tick
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2010, 09:16 AM

He's not interested,stop asking him,it sounds very like he does not want your attention.

If the tables were turned,would you be a little concerned if a male co worker had his buddy keep asking you out and make a decision.

Its odd behaviour from a grown women.

Relationships in work can be very tricky,look outside work and don't use a third party.

Jun 27, 2010, 05:45 AM

Thank you all so much for your replies.. wish I came here before trying anything at work..

Jun 27, 2010, 06:48 AM
    Thanks so much for your help :) really appreciate it
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2010, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by megirl View Post
    thank you all soo much for your replies..wish i came here before trying anything at work..
    You can turn it around at work,be always professional,keep your personnal life personnal!

Be very very careful before considering an office romance,flirtation,kiss,text,internal email,etc.

Work is work,its how you pay your bills and keep a roof over your head,don't put your work reputation at risk for a crush.

Aug 12, 2010, 12:55 PM
    New things happening...
    There's some new about that coworker I like.. he accepted to give his num and we started texting each other.. I said that I simply want to be friends... when he came to the office this Monday, he firstly looked at me and smiled.. he was really happy and was laughing and talking a lot (something he didn't do for a really really long time).

I am nevertheless the one who always make the 1st step.. I text him 1st and he replies to all my questions.. he has always replied whenever I texted him till now.I am 100%sure he knows I like him.. I don't know what to think.. do you think he likes me back or is he just being friendly and kind? I am quite lost because my feelings for him are becoming stronger and I feel scared..

I forgot to add that I proposed him in march and his answer was he doesn't know what to do.. he since then avoided me... can I now hope that something will happen?
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2010, 12:59 PM
    Maybe with the recent texting he has gotten a bit "smitten" with you. That could explain all the happiness and smiling. No matter who its from sometimes that positive attention can make a lot of people giddy.

If your not sure why not just try telling him how you feel or just mention a date sometime.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Aug 12, 2010, 01:32 PM

Ask him on a date and see what he says.

However, I caution that office romance can get very complicated. If things don't work out, then the dynamics of your relationship can get very awkward.

But prepared for the possible consequences before you take the next step.
    youradvisor1 Posts: 31, Reputation: 12

Oct 12, 2010, 02:35 PM
    I realize this is an older post but next time you find yourself interested in a coworker or friend, tell them through actions, not words. Every time I hear about or read a story where one person professes their love it always turns out the person sharing their feelings is let down or hurt. I'm no relationship expert but I believe if something is meant to be it will be. That's not to say you can't accelerate the relationship with a little flirting, socializing and smiling. Guys love that and if he's not interested he won't reciprocate. Then you have your answer without putting your heart on the table and the person avoiding you. Seriously, there's nothing worse when it's obvious that someone is avoiding you, even if you don't like him or her. Some here may have a different school of thought but telling a person flat out that you like him puts so much pressure on the object of your affection and will probably backfire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my coworker doing this? [ 2 Answers ]

I have only known my district manager for a couple of months and worked with him for a week about a month ago. Since then, I only talk to him on the phone once a week to go over reports. He was in the office last week and we spent the afternoon together on a project. He asked if I had a...

A female coworker coworker and husband to friendly at his work [ 2 Answers ]

This female coworker sends him filthy jokes, flirts with him, he is saying things about our personal home time to her , she has called him and he her , she doesn't even come over to talk to him when I am around. I am sure there is something going on. What do you think?

What does my coworker want from me? [ 7 Answers ]

Please help! I have a coworker that has been sending mixed signals for about a year now. We were friends a few years ago then I left the company. I came back and now I am confused. I don't know what to think. When I was there initially, we were good friends and joked around a lot. He even...

Male coworker avoiding me [ 11 Answers ]

There is a new guy at work--been there about six weeks. He was so sweet and nice at first--made it a point to make eye contact with me and say hi, even if I didn't notice he was around at first. His smile lit up the world. I've smiled and made eye contact right back, and found reasons to visit his...

Should I ask out a coworker? [ 4 Answers ]

Over the last couple years I have become friends with a coworker (who is single). When he first started working here I was at the end of a relationship and not ready to explore new people. Now I'm ready to date again. I'm concerned that if I ask him out it could ruin a good working...

View more questions Search