Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    malee760 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2010, 08:04 PM
    How to add father to birth record
    I have attorney papers and it was nortorised and he signed it stating that he acknowledges our daughter as his own and takes responiablty of her, can I use that to put him on her birth record.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 05:07 AM

Is he the bio fater of the child?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 07:33 AM

The laws vary from state to state.

If you were not married during the pregnancy, both you and he may sign a notarized Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity affidavit at any time after the child is born and the birth record has been filed.
    You have to provide information for new certificate/or amendment to the previous one/.
    The new birth record will show child's name as well as father's name and personal identifying information regarding him as reflected on that form.

Jun 26, 2010, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Is he the bio fater of the child?
    Yes
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 07:39 AM

Well of course notarized merely means it was witnessed, does not make it any more legal. Also it depends, did the "attorney papers" get filed and signed by the judge ?

Jun 26, 2010, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70 View Post
    The laws vary from state to state.

If you were not married during the pregnancy, both you and he may sign a notarized Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity affidavit at any time after the child is born and the birth record has been filed.
    You have to provide information for new certificate/or amendment to the previous one/.
    The new birth record will show child's name as well as father's name and personal identifying information regarding him as reflected on that form.

No we were not married. He signed stating he acknowledges that he is the biological father and it was filed with the court..

Jun 26, 2010, 07:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    well of course notarized merely means it was witnessed, does not make it any more legal. Also it depends, did the "attorney papers" get filed and signed by the judge ?
    Yes they were filed and signed by the judge

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I add my daughters father to her birth certificate? Please help! [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 6 years old and when she was born me and her father were not together and being young and stupid I didn't put his name on her birth certificate, now me and her father have got back together and been married for a year is there anyway that I can now put his name on her birth...

Can I add my father to my birth certificate? [ 7 Answers ]

I have just found out that my father is not on my birth certifitate, he is currently going through the courts to get access to his son, who is my half brother, but his ex is saying she doesn't want me seeing her son, as my father is not on my birth certificte, therefore her solicitors have informed...

Father not around at birth. Want to add him to birth certificate/change babies name [ 1 Answers ]

At the time I had my son 5 months ago his father was not in the picture so I opted to not give him his last name or put his name on the birth certificate... however now his father came back and we are working things out.. how do I go about changing the birth certificate and my sons last name... do...

Add name of father long after birth of child [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I recently found out that we could add a fathers name onto my child's birth certificate even long after the birth of my child. If my husband is not the biological father of my child is it leagal to add his name on to her birth certificate and if so would we then have to change her...

View more questions Search