Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abkma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2010, 08:40 PM
    Sparks from breaker box during an electric storm
    Hi all,

Tonight we had severe electrical storms in our area. My family was taking cover in the basement. While down there we had a momentary shower of sparks from the service panel. None of the breakers popped. There was no load noise, etc so I am assuming that maybe it was a strong surge running through the lines. Everything in the house seems to be working fine. I've checked that none of the breakers are hot to the touch. I've also checked every switch and outlet in the house to see if it is hot to the touch as well as checking each outlet with my tester.

Is there something more I should do. Could this have just been a quick surge due to a nearby lightning strike?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2010, 11:30 PM
    Hi, abkma!

I'll bet that if you call the Gas & Electric company about a possible safety issue, that they might be likely to send someone out to check things out without charging you.

That's what I would be doing anyway...

Thanks!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2010, 01:36 PM
    Clough is correct, that someone qualified needs to inspect this panel thoroughly.

The sparks could have been from the current of a lightning strike, that was flowing on the neutral, and found a loose connection, or blew apart a connection.

Sparks come from melted metal.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2010, 09:41 PM
    Hi, tkrussell!

Sparks come from melted metal? I didn't know that!

So, if there were sparks, as have been described, would that positively indicate that there was a problem that needs to be solved, please?

Thanks!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2010, 03:47 AM
    So, has this panel been checked out?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2010, 05:02 AM

Clough:

For the most part sparks do come from molten metal in this case, BUT they could come from two pieces of carbon which is not metal. In a device called a spark gap or even a spark plug, the spark comes from ionization of the air. There is a small amount of material removed. A grinder can create sparks even though there is no electricity involved in the spark. Lightning is a big spark and no metal is involved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit breaker sparks [ 2 Answers ]

I was changing 4 outlets from beige to white, put all the wires back in the exact place they were in from the beige outlet to white. They all have a red,black,white and copper wire. Flicked the breaker back on and no power-turned it off immediately check the outlets that were removed and noticed...

Freaked out by sparks and tripped circuit breaker [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I had a circuit breaker box installed about a month ago. I also had recessed lighting installed in the bedrooms with dimmer switches. The wiring goes from the box to the attic and connects to the each lighting fixture. This was all done by a professional. Today, just as I walked into...

Electric breaker box buzzes [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: hi I have a 3 year old house with 200 amp service and yesterday after turning central ac on for the 1st time this year the circuit breaker box buzzes when the unit kicks on and then doesn't buzz again until ac kicks on again, is this a bad breaker? And is it easy to change? Thank you...

Electric ceiling heater sparks. [ 1 Answers ]

There is an electric exhaust fan with heater (fan,light,heater) in the bathroom. I noticed that when I switch on the heater that it sparks for a second when its first turned on, then there is a small glow at the end of a wire. I turned on the heater without turning on the light, it was dark, and I...

Water Tank Fuses Blow 3x/Week, Box Smells Like It's Burning, Sparks When I Replace [ 6 Answers ]

The fuses. My landlord said that it's perfectly normal for the fuse to create a spark when I screw it in because I'm making a connection. It has NEVER done this before. My landlord said that I'm screwing the fuse in too slow, which is why I'm seeing them. Then he screwed it in at the same...

View more questions Search