Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2010, 12:14 PM
    How to find what to rep after maxing out?
    I want to know if there is a formula or something to use to plug into my max weight so that way I can rep smaller weight the right amount of times. For example if I wanted to rep 3 sets of 10 or 10, 8, 6. or 5, 3, 1. what do I do?
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2010, 04:14 PM

There are formula, but really, you can tell by just seeing how many reps you can do before you hit failure. Typically, you'll be close to failure by rep 8 if you are lifting 80% of 1rm.
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2010, 01:19 PM

Well, I haven't hit the weights for about 4 years and I came back into it and maxed out at 190 on bench press and I wasn't sure what weights I was supposed to be doing for sets. On my 10, 8, 6 sets I was doing 125, 135, 145, and it is a little off.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2010, 02:16 PM

The actual weight doesn't matter, only how heavy it feels to you, and how much effort you need to exert to lift it.

I sometimes do drop sets, and by the end, I'm panting like a broken bellows, so that everyone in the gym is looking round at me sweating away with these little dumbbells! How well they wouldn't be looking when I was lifting the big ones!
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2010, 09:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen G View Post
    There are formula, but really, you can tell by just seeing how many reps you can do before you hit failure. Typically, you'll be close to failure by rep 8 if you are lifting 80% of 1rm.
    I completely agree... with room for changes.

I've always been weak at the shoulders, for ex.. I'm big in form, but much weaker than id like to be. Doesn't help I've had shoulder injuries, but honestly, I'm weaker there.

But if I can do 75-80% of single max for 8 reps, I'm pretty comfortable with the setup. At shoulders, its just going to be lower for me.

And if it drops lower than that I tell myself I'm spending more time in the eccentric phase so good for me.
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2010, 11:15 AM

I am trying a different approach at it now. I got a workout plan from a personal trainer and it is seems to be effective thus far. I can't lift as much as I used to could because I tore a muscle in my shoulder so I know how that is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Per IRS prior er has funds for me. ER & rep say no. How to find $'s? [ 3 Answers ]

I filed for SSDI and was subsequently notified by the IRS that a previous employer still has 401k funds in my name. I contacted the employer & their representative and neither can find my name nor my funds. How do I find this money. I am in desperate need as I am homebound by disabilities.

Maxing out my breaker box? [ 6 Answers ]

I need to add a 50 amp circuit breaker in my Square D 150 AMP breaker box for the new hot tub. How do you determine if this will push the box capacity over the limit?

Rep for Vision [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there, When I was an Optician I was always in contact with contact lens reps or ones selling glasses. But it never occurred to me to ask how they got this job. This is something that I would LOVE to do. How do I get into it? I believe that I have good experience to start with.

End of the Year Efforts at maxing out 401(k) contributions [ 1 Answers ]

I am contributing regularly to my 401(k) plan, but the amount does not come close to the limits set by the federal government. Can I get my contributions to the limit between now and the end of the year? In other words, what happens if I am like $10,000 short of the limit but only have $5,000 in...

View more questions Search