Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tottieirene Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2010, 06:51 AM
    How do I re-paint rusted metal?
    I'm restoring a small travel trailer, and want to paint the tongue and platform for the gas canisters. What are the preparation steps I should use, and what kind of paint would be the most durable?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2010, 07:46 AM

I like laquer for outdoor use.

If you sand or sandblast to bare metal the metal should be etched. Etching supplies are available at an auto paint supply shop.

Wire brushes can help. If you have difficult rust, you can polymerize it with something like Extend.

Standard body fill materials like Bondo and Bondo Scratch and dent can fill imperfections.

Progressive sanding and a final wet sand with 400 grit paper will give you a nice finish.

See here for some ideas: Have you used Dupont Metal Conditioner 5717S -phosphoric acid - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

Yep, did some major body work on two cars I owned. One when I was a teenager. The other had flex rubber parts like bumpers and laquer.
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Jun 27, 2010, 07:42 AM

Repainting rusted metal is simple if you use a rust converter product.

Rust converters chemically alter the rust into an inert material allowing for easy repainting.

All you need do is brush away any loose rust and paint, then apply the rust converter.

You can repaint within minutes.

Here is one such rust converter product from Krylon:

Amazon.com: Outdoor Spaces Rust Converter Spray, RUST CONVRTR SPRAY PAINT: Home…

You can find rust converter wherever paint is sold.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's the best way to paint over a powder coat finish on metal [ 3 Answers ]

I have a set of tables (coffee, end and sofa) that no longer match my décor. They are metal with a powder coat finish. I like the shape and scale and want to make them a little more rustic by wrapping some areas with jute cording. However, I am unsure of the necessary steps I will need to take...

My Altima sounds like metal is scraping metal when I go in reverse and turn left. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1994 Nissan Altima GXE. I had some brake work and front wheel work done around Christmas time. The control leg, an axle, and some other small things were replaces, along with the entire brake system. However, when I turn left or go in reverse, I hear this shrill, metal on metal sound that...

A/C pan rusted and leaks, coil rusted [ 3 Answers ]

I have just been told that my pan is rusted out and dripping into an aux. pan and that my coil is rusted and I should get a new unit. I was told that in 2010 freon regulations will change and if I just change the coil and then I need freon, I will have to replace the coil again to conform to the...

Metal toilet flange rusted out [ 2 Answers ]

Can and how do you replace the metal floor flange? The one I have has rusted through and one side of the toilet won't tighted.

View more questions Search