Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jeffrey_i Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 12:38 PM
    When painting kitchen cabinets is it best to sand first, then paint?
    Thinking about painting my kitchen cabinets without the expensive kitchen re-modeling work. Which type of paint is best used on wooden kitchen cabinets?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 22, 2010, 01:26 PM

Lightly sand, tack cloth and prime with something like KILZ 2, then top coat with latex or oil enamel. Sheen is up to you but I'd go semi-gloss or satin
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2010, 01:57 PM
    Hi, Jeffrey_i!

What kind of finish, if any, is on the cabinets, please?

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting kitchen cabinets [ 5 Answers ]

I have plain jane oak kitchen cabinets that I want to paint white. I'm not sure what kind of paint I need to use. I would rather use latex but didn't know how well that would hold up. Plus if I use latex paint what kind of primer would I need to use? I'm wanting to spray this paint on with paint...

Do I paint the kitchen walls or the cabinets? [ 4 Answers ]

I want to paint my kitchen. It is small. There is much more cabinet space than wall space. Both the cabinets and walls are this kind of ugly off-white or navajo white with a yellowish tone . I want to liven up the kitchen, but I don't know if I should paint the cabinets or the walls. And...

Painting kitchen cabinets [ 1 Answers ]

I have heard that painting kitchen cabinets with automotive paint is the new style and getting more popular as time goes bye. I also want to paint my wooden kitchen cabinets with automotive paint. I want to know how I can prepare the doors and drawers for painting. I want the doors to be smooth...

Painting Old Kitchen Cabinets [ 3 Answers ]

The cabinets in my rental apartment are dark brown from the 1970's looks like a satin finish probably some kind of varnish. The cabinets are in good condition with no peeling. I want to paint them white & avoid a lot of work like stripping or heavy sanding. What kind of primer & paint I should use...

Painting Kitchen Cabinets [ 4 Answers ]

:( Two weeks ago, I decided to paint my kitchen cabinets. Unfortunately, I misread the directions I had obtained searching on the internet. I cleaned the cabinets really well with a degreaser, removed them all. My husband added trim. I sanded the new trim but didn’t sand the old varnish that was on...

View more questions Search