Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joicee1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 12:27 PM
    Civil lawsuit Next Step
    I was a partner in a nightclub but due to the problems I was having I withdrew from the partnership. I filed a civil lawsuit to attempt to get my capital investment and percentage due me. The respondent responsed denying everything. Because I am handling this on my own, the clerk said I now needed to ask the judge for a hearing. Is there a particular format I should do this in.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 22, 2010, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joicee1 View Post
    I was a partner in a nightclub but due to the problems I was having I withdrew from the partnership. I filed a civil lawsuit to attempt to get my capital investment and percentage due me. The respondent responsed denying everything. Because I am handling this on my own, the clerk said I now needed to ask the judge for a hearing. Is there a particular format I should do this in.
    How did you "withdraw" from the partnership? Did you follow the partnership statute in whichever state you are located?

If the "pleadings" (complaint, answer, etc.) are completed, and you are not interested in engaging in discovery, I suppose you next step is to get a trial scheduled. Has either side asked for a jury trial?

To answer your question, hearings are usually not scheduled in the absence of some sort of pending motion. An exception to that would be (in some jurisdictions at least) a status conference. Ask for one, or file a motion to set case for trial and then request a hearing on that motion.

You would be well advised to find a set of the civil rules for the particular court you are in, and read/understand them.
    Joicee1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2010, 01:35 PM
    Civil Lawsuit Next Step
    Thanks for answering my question on a previous post (Post 2404822) regarding a civil lawsuit I filed. I wanted to know the next step since the respondent has filed and as such denied all allegations except the amount of capital I put into the partnership. Since I do not have any records regarding the assets/liabilities dealing with the business I would like to obtain all the information to date on the business to ensure I received what is rightfully owed to me. Would I ask for a "motion" for discovery, or request to produce. If either, how would I prepare this document. I do not have an attorney and I do have the rules for civil law procedures, but it is still a bit confusing. Please help. Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2010, 01:43 PM

I have asked that this be combined with your original question. Otherwise, it is difficult to know what you are asking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civil Lawsuit Federal Court [ 11 Answers ]

I am the Plaintiff in a lawsuit filed against the Social Security Admin for violation of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act 1973 I was told to spend down my assets/resources to the maximum allowed($2,000) in order to be eligible for SSI benefits Under Section 1917 (d)(4(A), (d)(4)(B),...

Civil lawsuit [ 4 Answers ]

What is a civil lawsuit vs. other type of suit

Civil lawsuit [ 1 Answers ]

I am recently unemployed and am being sued by a credit card company for non payment. What is the worst thing they can do to me. I co-own a house and have a car and not much else. I am nervous. Any advice?:confused:

Civil Lawsuit-Legal Matter [ 4 Answers ]

I was taken off social security disability because I made above the monthly threshold. I am disputing the amount I owe. Social Security "will not" let me appeal. I was told I am general labor and have no rights. I disagree. Can I file a civil suit for harassment and discrimination? I have...

Civil Lawsuit [ 1 Answers ]

I just found out yesterday that my ex landlord (I'm in Union county NJ) had issued a bank levy against my checking acct. I wasn't served a summons, in fact the two addresses she sent the summons was my prior address and a family friend. Suffice to say I never received anything and a default...

View more questions Search