Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2010, 10:56 AM
    Solving a 3rd degree polynomial...
    Maybe if we all put our minds together we can have a mathematical breakthrough.

Here's my dilemma. Back in high school, I had just switched schools so I couldn't be in any of the available classes for a whole semester. I got my hands on an intermediate algebra book and started reading through it. I figured this would be a good precursor to my precalculas class coming up.

I had passed the NYS Regent Math B exam with decent scores, but there were still so many details left out of my training. I came across polynomials in my reading and thought "This Looks Easy." The first thing I came across was:

I had seen it before, as I am sure all of you have. Then I found the proof for it in the next few days, I will try to reproduce it here.

subtract c

divide by a

complete the squre

Simplify

Square Root of both

X by itself:

Now given all of this, why can't we do the same thing for 3rd order polynomials.

At this point I get lost. I would think you would take an x out of the left, however, that doesn't do much. You would think that there would be something you can add to both sides without an x in it so that it can be factored. I've done a bit of reading on this and they say there are proofs proving that it is impossible to solve this. The only thing I can think of is goofing around with imaginary numbers and what not. I can't think of anything to add to both sides of the equation to complete the "square."

Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2010, 11:07 AM

To solve a cubic function, I use the factor theorem.

But I don't know a specific formula that gives the solutions of x. :(
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2010, 11:14 AM

From what I have read, there is none, and it is impossible for it to exist. However, I have never read any sensible proofs that prove that it is impossible. I am proposing a possible way to solve it algebraically.
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2010, 11:33 AM

Hmmm

Hmm.. factorise ax?

Hmm... complete the square from within?

Hmm, expand?

I'm getting nowhere... isn't there an 'complete the cubic' XD
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2010, 11:47 AM

Let's get on the reverse order then.

Getting backwards... by dividing the term in x^2 by 3, the third one by 3a and the cube root of the independent term... given that all the three operations give a constant 'a', that can be done... at least, that's for a perfect cubic.

Now, how do we find the remainder in case of a non-perfect cubic? :(
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2010, 12:26 PM

You are asking if there is a formula for finding the roots of a cubic as there is with the quadratic formula?

Yes, there is. It is called Cardano's formula and it is messy.

See here:

The Cubic Formula

Galois, Abel, or some other big brain from the past, proved there is no formula for a quintic. So forget about one for a polynomial of fifth degree. As for a quartic formula (fourth degree), it is quite daunting. Google quartic formula if you're interested.
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2010, 12:36 PM

Phew! That's really long!

I don't think I'd come up with this soon :eek:
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2010, 12:43 PM
    Funny thing is, I have spent a lot of time on vanderbilt. Do you know if there is a proof for this formula? I would love to see how it was put together.
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2010, 12:59 PM

Scour around the internet and you can find it. Google 'cubic formula'. This was derived back in the 16th century, I believe. There's all kind of stuff out there.
    I assume others have access to Google.

See here: http://www.sosmath.com/algebra/factor/fac11/fac11.html

You have to check out this site for the quartic formula. Talk about a mess... WHEW!!

http://myyn.org/m/article/quartic-formula/
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2010, 09:57 PM

Ew... my head is spinning :p

Thanks galactus! :) It was good to know that there is indeed a formula to find the roots of polynimials up to the 4th power.
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2010, 08:16 AM

If you're interested in the fun stuff, here is a site with Abel's proof that a quintic does not have solutions in radicals. That is, a quintic does not have a 'quintic formula' whereby to find the roots as we do with quadratics, cubics, and quartics.

Fermat's Last Theorem: Abel's Impossibility Proof
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2010, 08:34 AM

*cough*
    I'll just bookmark this page for later :o

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Find 4th Degree Polynomial? [ 1 Answers ]

How do you find a 4th degree polynomial with integral coefficients that has zeros of 2 ( multiplicity of 2) and -i?

How to solve and graph 5th degree polynomial [ 1 Answers ]

I have a project due on Monday and forgot my notebook. I need to solve and graph this 5th degree polynomial and I am being graded on -rational zero test -descartes rule of signs (# of positive and negative zeros) -finding all 5 zeros -finding the y-intercept -finding the relative minimums...

I need to solve a 5th degree polynomial [ 1 Answers ]

2x5th-17x4th+33x3rd+23x2nd-59x-30

Polynomial Solving [ 4 Answers ]

a^3-36a^2-9a+324

View more questions Search