Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eileenj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 10:50 AM
    When my dog panics it attacks the doors how can I stop this
    My 5 year old border collie is a rescue dog we have had him for 2 years. He is great except when the door bell rings or the smoke alarm goes off he will attack the doors. I now have 3 badly chewed doors and would like to cure this before we replace the doors. Any ideas on how we can deal with this?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 22, 2010, 11:00 AM

Sounds like he has some serious fear issues. I would suggest finding ways to buikld his confidence and maybe even look into some behavior modification classes. You can also try having your dog sit beside you, and have some one knock on the door, or ring the bell, when he starts barking and going crazy put him on his leash, and ask him to sit, the minute he sits reward with praise and a treat. Keep trying to distract him with either treats or praise. Keep practicing this, and soon he will realize what behavior you are asking from him.

Sounds like he could use a little more work on basic commands. If you say "no" and as him to "come" he should stop what he is doing and respond. So really start working on the basics again, taking him to the park, working on his recall and stay commands. Get a friend or your partner to come, get something that would make a loud distracting noise, and when your dog is re acting towards that noise, start with the "stop" and than ask him to "come" and than "sit" praising and treating for each command he does.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat scratchs at closet doors, how do I get her to stop? [ 3 Answers ]

My cat scratches at my closet doors in the middle of the night and I can't get her to stop doing it. I've tried putting tin foil on my doors but my cat learned to just scratch above the tin foil. She has a scratching post too. Have any ideas on how to get her to stop?

My dog pees and messes at both my back doors of my house, how can I stop this [ 2 Answers ]

My dog is 7 months old and she pees and messes at both my back doors to the house, it is like she is trying to get into the house to pees, she will move back and forth at the back door, finally when she sees I am not letting her in she will do her business right there, any suggestions to stop this.

1 1/2 year old cat suddenly attacks dog? [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I got our cat when she was a kitten. She's about a year and a half old the dog is about seven. They have got along fine till today. One min. she's fine the next min she freaks out and starts attacking the dog. The only thing I can think of is, I think she's going into heat, but she's...

Dog attacks owner for items that doesn't belong to him [ 23 Answers ]

My dog has been getting violent with me when I touch his food tray and water bowl. I think I understand why that happens. But now when I by accident drop something that belongs to me in front of him, I get scare. When I try to pick the item up, he growls and snaps at me. I always have to distract...

Puppy attacks older dog [ 1 Answers ]

Our new puppy (lab mix) 5 months, has started attacking our 14 yr.old lab mix when I am close to both of them. The puppy is a sweat heart except for this. We also have a 3 yr old lab that the pup is fine with. Is this a alpha thing?

View more questions Search