Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carley1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 09:38 AM
    Are the house deeds the same as the mortgage
    My nan owns a house with my mum and dad. My mum and dad divorced and my mum remarried so they are currently doing a transfer of equity from my dad to my mums new husband. At the same time the mortgage is up for renewell. My mum has had and new mortgage quote given to her but this time my nan is too old to have her name on the mortgage(75) so has agreed to have her name removed, she was also told by my mum and her husband that they can't get the mortgage unless she removes her name from the deeds as well. I'm unsure of this, does this sound correct?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 22, 2010, 09:45 AM

First, a deed is the title to a property. A mortgage is a loan using the property as collateral. Generally, the lender requires that all titleholders sign the mortgage, but it may not be an absolute requirement.

Second, there is no reason why a lender would not want someone else signed on the mortgage. As long as the other signers have sufficient income to manage the loan there should be a problem with your nan signing the mortgage. But yes, if they won't allow her on the mortgage, they would want her off the deed.

By the way, mortgages generally don't come "up for renewal". A mortgage is made for a specific time fame. While it may be refinanced before its done, it doesn't have to be. However, if you mum wants to have the mortgage in just the names of her and her new husband, the mortgage would have to be rewritten.
    carley1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 09:54 AM

Thank you for your speedy reply scott, yes this helps a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Add name to house deeds but not mortgage? [ 6 Answers ]

I live in the UK. My partner and I own a house, but at the moment the mortgage is in his name and only his name appears on the house deeds. The reason why the mortgage was not in joint names initially is because I was unemployed at the time of applying. I have contacted several solicitors to...

House deeds [ 1 Answers ]

I could you please tell me how my parents can change the deeds of the house they own into mine and husbands name Thanks

Removal of husband name from mortgage deeds, missing 3 years so far. [ 2 Answers ]

I told my husband to leave our joint mortgaged address 3 years ago, he served a short prison sentence for drink driving offence (regularly offending hence I tild him to go) I arranged for my solicitor to start divorce proceedings immediately however when the papers were tried to be served, he had...

House deeds [ 1 Answers ]

I Am Happily Married And Need To Know Is It Best If My Name Is Put On The House Deeds Do I Need To Worry About Anything Which May Affect Financial Loss In The Future If We Fell Out For Instance?

House deeds and car title tied up on mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

Can the bank tie a car title into a home mortgage loan?

View more questions Search