Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Jun 22, 2010, 05:52 AM
    GFI trips
    We just moved the old refrigerator to the garage to use for water and soda. The outlet is about six feet away from the refrigerator. I am using a light duty extension cord and after a few hours the gfi trips. If I us the same extension cord from a regular outlet in the house no problems. Is the problem my extension cord our the outlet. There is no water that is causing the trip.
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Jun 22, 2010, 05:39 PM

Bought a heavy duty cord and it worked for about five hours and the gfi tripped. The fridge was plugged into a gfi in the kitchen. Do you think the gfi needs to be replaced?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2010, 06:48 PM

Probably. There have been advances in technology that avoids nuisence motor load trips.
    Angrycustomer Posts: 79, Reputation: -1

Jul 12, 2010, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mydogquestion View Post
    Bought a heavy duty cord and it worked for about five hours and the gfi tripped. The fridge was plugged into a gfi in the kitchen. Do you think the gfi needs to be replaced?
    I was told not to plug a refrigerator into a ground fault interrupter circuit.

Just do what works. What's the problem in reseting the receptacle? Just wire in a LED to your PC and route it through your blackberry then when the fault occurs you have a legitimate excuse to stop that important job and go reset your circuit... otherwise, read the manual... LOL. I'd put it on a dedicated circuit without a G.F.I.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFI trips intermittently [ 14 Answers ]

My daughter has a gfi that controls two receptacles and a light switch in her bathroom. She has owned the house for about a year and had no problems with the GFI. However over the last two months, the GFI has started to trip intermittently. She told me it does not rip when being used - just some...

GFI Breaker Trips [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings all! I have a 15 amp GFI breaker that trips anytime something is plugged into any of the outlets on that circuit. I have used a circuit tester and it appears everything is normal but still when I plug anything at all into any of the outlets the breaker trips. What would cause...

GFI in the panel trips [ 1 Answers ]

I am working in a temporary building with; 16 offices, 16 A/c units, 4 people per office, computers and printers on every desk, refrigerators and battery back-ups plugged into every outlet available. There is a high load and power provided by a large 40 or 60 KW generator. The entrance panel has...

GFI Outlet Trips [ 4 Answers ]

We have an exterior GFI outlet that started continually tripping and then quit altogether. We installed a new one but it also is tripping frequently. Anyone have any suggestions please.

GFI trips when fliping switch [ 5 Answers ]

I have an outdoor fountain with a pump that is pluged into a new outlet next to the pump. I connected that outlet to an outdoor switch on the porch so I can turn the punp on and off without going to the fountain. I taped into an existing outdoor outlet on the porch and put the switch next to...

View more questions Search