Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LeslietheGreat Posts: 3, Reputation: 3

Jun 21, 2010, 11:59 AM
    Where do I get money to open a non-profit thrift store?
    I am located in Lexington, SC and I want to open up a thrift store. I don't have much in the way of money or collateral for a business loan, so I'm trying to figure out what I can do to get some start up money. I don't owe anybody any money, either. Is there someone besides the bank (or dear old Dad) that can help get me started? Thank you so much!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2010, 12:06 PM
    Hi, LeslietheGreat!

Do you have a business plan alreay formatted and written for the thrift store, please?

Thanks!

Jun 21, 2010, 02:35 PM

No, I sure don't. Here's what I do know:
    - I'm pretty set on the store benefitting global disaster relief. Basically, I want to send clothing and any other supplies needed to whomever is in the most trouble at the moment, be it Haiti, New Orleans, Mongolia or Tennessee.
    - I don't want to specialize in clothes and I don't want to do consignment. We'll take anything as long as you donate it.
    - I play in a very successful local band here in Columbia, and I know a LOT of people. I'm not concerned with stocking the place with inventory or getting the word out... between my connections with the local press and radio, I'm going to advertise the heck out of this thing.

I know I can do it, I've got a lot of people who want to help, and I'm a great saleswoman. Unfortunately, having been in a band for several years has left me looking like a hobo on paper. I'm never going to get a decent loan with my numbers alone. I just lost my job at a thrift store (which is a huge part of my drive to do it RIGHt- you wouldn't believe the perfectly good things they threw away all the time) so I do have experience.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 21, 2010, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslietheGreat View Post
    you wouldn't believe the perfectly good things they threw away all the time) so I do have experience.
    Your ideals are noble, but have you really thought this through? Most often, the recipients need money to purchase what they need in their own country or state, not someone's castoff wool dress or cotton knee socks or purple table lamp. Have you discussed this with your potential recipients? Do you have a link to a shop in the disaster area, or where/to whom are you planning to send "stuff"?

Better might be a "one-trick pony" and send a lot of one kind of item, say winter coats of all sizes, once you have identified a need in, say, Mongolia and have a place to send them. But again, even Mongolians would probably prefer money.

Jun 21, 2010, 05:17 PM

I apologize for coming off as someone who hasn't thought any of this through. I was just going for a condensed version of the whole idea. I do, in fact, realize that Mongolians don't need purple table lamps or sweaters. Thanks for the pointer, though.

I've worked at a thrift store, but I have never started my own business. Hence submitting a question to your site "askmehelpdesk.com."

I think I'll just look elsewhere for assistance, maybe from a site that doesn't give me a response that blatantly assumes I'm a complete moron. Or uses so many sarcastic quotation marks.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 21, 2010, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslietheGreat View Post
    I think I'll just look elsewhere for assistance, maybe from a site that doesn't give me a response that blatantly assumes I'm a complete moron. Or uses so many sarcastic quotation marks.
    You didn't say what stuff is being thrown out that you believe can be used. You didn't give us much to work with or chew on. There seemed to be unbridled enthusiasm (and I did compliment you on that), but you offered no plan or understanding of the needs of people in distress. I too have worked in thrift shops and also for my church whenever it pulled together its resources to help people in need.

I never indicated you are a complete moron. So many sarcastic quotation marks? Where? I recommended that you be a one-trick pony because it might work better than making the project so huge that it will fail. And I just wanted some serious answers to some realistic questions.

As far as how to get money to open such a store, you're probably going to have to go about it just like every animal shelter, horse rescue farm, and homeless shelter I know about in my county had to do -- by asking for monetary donations (lots of them) and volunteers and then become a non-profit by filing for it (you'll need a lawyer for this).
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2010, 05:38 PM
    Hi again, LeslietheGreat!

If you have a definitive business plan, you'll be more likely to get funding from not only a financial institution, but also others.

Also, would you want to be donating items for global disaster relief and what sort of building would you be requiring for the store, please?

By the way, Wondergirl was just looking for some information, just the same as I am.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Thrift store 4 profit [ 5 Answers ]

I want to start a thrift store 4 profit is that possible? Will people be willing to donate and not get tax receipt. What is the lega stuff :confused:

Non-profit thrift store desperate [ 13 Answers ]

I am looking for any information, tips and ideas on how to keep our small town thrift store afloat. Right now we are barely making it. I need to come up with some ways to increase revenue. All monies made go directly to suppor to our crisis center where I live. We have a constant steady flow of...

Is a thrift store a profit or non profit business [ 2 Answers ]

How to get stated owning a thrift shop

Starting a non profit thrift store [ 7 Answers ]

I am trying to get a grant to start a thrift store. Does anyone know how to make a business plan and a proposal for one?

Starting a Thrift Store for a Non-profit [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a college student who was given the charge of developing a business plan for a local charity, called Good Works. GW is an established charity that would like to open up a for-profit thrift store to help fund its homeless shelters. I am looking for thoughts on where to find...

View more questions Search