Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dandemeyere Posts: 50, Reputation: 3

Jun 21, 2010, 11:38 AM
    What's the best way to tailor new and old jeans?
    I have some new designer jeans that need to be tailored but I also have some older jeans that I never got tailored and now have frayed bottoms. Other than the frayed bottoms, the jeans are in great condition and I want to keep them, can I ask a tailor to just hem the jeans right above where the fraying begins? Is there a better way to do this? Do they require a certain height or clearance per sé in order to be able to hem the jeans? I just want to make sure that if I ask for my frayed jeans to be hemmed that they don't return with too much taken off and unwearable.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2010, 11:41 AM

Of course - you're paying the tailor. Ask that they be measured ON YOU and marked ON THE REVERSE SIDE WITH PERMANENT INK so you can be positive that they are shortened to the length you want.
    TruthSayer0122 Posts: 109, Reputation: 18

Jul 28, 2010, 03:48 PM
    They are professionals. The measure it with you in the pants with shoes on. I get my done all the time and it's cheap. You could do it yourself with double sided tape that you can get from the fabric store.
    louislam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2010, 07:43 PM

Step 1

Purchase or use an old pair of jeans for practice. Sketch a finished picture of the jeans you want to tailor. Measure the areas of the jeans to be taken in or shortened.
    Step 2

Use a flexible tape measure to measure the lengths and sizes of a pair of jeans, shorts or trousers that fits well. Put the measuring tape taut and measure the jeans when they are laying flat on a table. Jot down the measurements for the waistband, widest area of the hips, inseam and front rise (crotch to waistband).
    Step 3

Make the necessary cuts. To shorten jeans cut off the cuff so that it remains intact. Remove the extra length and then sew the cuff back on. Keep the seam very close to the edge of the cuff so you can't tell they were altered.
    Step 4

Use a seam ripper to take apart the sides of the jeans to take the legs in. Sew them back up with a wider seam allowance. Cut the waistband at the side and re-stitch to the desired fit.
    Step 5

Sew on fringe, trim or patches. Add grommets, studs or crystals if you want to embellish your jeans. Stitch the inside pockets down along the pocket opening if the pockets poke out.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2010, 05:14 AM

Unless you have an industrial sewing machine this is going to look very, very makeshift.

When jeans are well over $100 a pair, why would you do your own tailoring?
    abdur Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2012, 08:48 PM
    You can get your jeans done via a professional custom tailor who is expert in jeans and custom shirts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Skinny Jeans [ 2 Answers ]

What store or place can I go 2 buy skinny jeans for girls 12 years old and the price is under $20 and the skinny jeans are beautiful and the skinny jeans must be very skinny on the waist and legs!!

Leather Jeans [ 3 Answers ]

Is it cool for a 33 year old bloke to wear leather jeans? I want to buy a pair but need advice. Is it stylish? Or a fashion no no?

Snapping jeans [ 4 Answers ]

HI! My son had a stroke when he was three weeks old. His right side consequently, is week. He has trouble doing things that require both hands, although he usually finds a way to get the job done. When it comes to fastening his jeans though, he hasn't figured anything out. Is there a tool out...

View more questions Search