Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frank6051 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2010, 08:30 PM
    6.5 briggs & stratton starts for a few seconds only
    Briggs & Stratton 6.5 HP engine (123K02-0181-E1) suddenly stopped while mowing and I could not get it re-started. I took the carburetor apart and cleaned it; replaced the spark plug, fuel line, changed oil and air filter. It started up for a few seconds and then stopped. I could not get it to start again. Does anyone have any idea as to what might be wrong? Thank you. Fvt
    sullidog Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 03:30 PM

Did you clean the nut on the bottom of the bowl? In that nut there's holes that act as jets. Make sure you clean them out with a peace of wire. Also does the engine have spark when it quits firing?

Jul 20, 2010, 09:24 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion Sullidog. I ended up taking the engine apart; cleaning all pieces and also slightly sanded the flywheel that generates the spark. After I put it back together, it started on the first try and it has been fine since then. Thanks again for the help. Cheers!

Jul 20, 2010, 09:24 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion Sullidog. I ended up taking the engine apart; cleaning all pieces and also slightly sanded the flywheel that generates the spark. After I put it back together, it started on the first try and it has been fine since then. Thanks again for the help. Cheers!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton dies in few seconds [ 5 Answers ]

I've got mower with Briggs & Stratton 5.0 hp engine Throttle free design model 11A602 type 0125E1. I prime and start my engine. It runs for few seconds and then it dies. I can keep it running only by continuous priming. Is it any other way I can keep it running?

A/C comes on for 3 seconds, shuts off & then starts up again [ 5 Answers ]

I just moved into a new home and noticed that each time the A/C comes on it starts up for about 3 seconds, shuts off, then starts up again. This second start-up is when it stays on until the desired temperature is reached. I have a Honeywell SuperStat thermostat that is about four years old and...

Briggs & Stratton 16.5 [ 4 Answers ]

I have a MTD Mower OHV 16.5 B&S engine, Has New Battery , solenoid, starter, and valves have been set to .004 on intake .006 on exhaust. Will start and run till I shut it off and will not start again. It si only four years old. Any thoughts?

Briggs & Stratton 18 hp [ 1 Answers ]

I have a troy built riding mower with an 18 horse briggs... this starter gear often sticks in the fly wheel and will not start unless you turn the fly wheel back by hand... I have replaced the starter and still have the same problem... the engine runs fine at all speeds but the problem still exists...

View more questions Search