Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2011, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    I understand they arent for everyone and respect that.
    Hello again, dad:

My story:

My dad managed Dave Cooks Sporting Goods in Denver, and brought home two brand new 22's every weekend during the summer... I was 12. We'd go jack rabbit hunting in the eastern plains... One day, when my dad I were taking a breather, a little bunny ran up to us and stopped. My dad pulled his .45 and blew the tip of his nose away. The bunny just stood there bleeding, so he shot him again...

I grew up being a hunter, and hunted for years.. I loved it, and then I didn't. That damn bunny kept cropping up in my memory, and hasn't gone away since.

Yeah... An excon and his bunny. Whoda thunk it? Now, let some sonofab!tch break into my house, and I'd have no trouble blowing him away. Do I need a doctor?

excon
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2011, 09:51 AM

No problem... Hunting isn't for everyone. You have the options of buying ready to cook meat these days.

I don't believe in killing animals just for the sake of killing them either. But things like vermin... and things like Deer and these have to be culled or overpopulation causes a host of secondary problems. Rabies, property destruction.. diseases for the surviving anmals.. etc. Which is the more humane path when you consider the alternatives?

Plus Deer make for good eating. But I'd have to be damn hungry to eat coyote.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 11, 2011, 04:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, dad:

My story:

My dad managed Dave Cooks Sporting Goods in Denver, and brought home two brand new 22's every weekend during the summer... I was 12. We'd go jack rabbit hunting in the eastern plains... One day, when my dad I were taking a breather, a little bunny ran up to us and stopped. My dad pulled his .45 and blew the tip of his nose away. The bunny just stood there bleeding, so he shot him again...

I grew up being a hunter, and hunted for years.. I loved it, and then I didn't. That damn bunny kept cropping up in my memory, and hasn't gone away since.

Yeah... An excon and his bunny. Whoda thunk it? Now, let some sonofab!tch break into my house, and I'd have no trouble blowing him away. Do I need a doctor?

excon
    Actually your head is in the right place. No worries man.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2011, 08:27 AM

Some people do eat coyote though. *shudders* which I don't think I could... I know there's people around here that do eat it.. they make the meat into peperoni type ugg..
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 08:41 AM

I hate hunting! I especially hate it when people hunt just for the sheer fact of killing. Not for warmth, food or to stay alive. I also think snaring and trapping is disgusting and cruel. Wow, you out smarted an animal! I don't understand what satisfaction someone can get from that. But that's just MHO. I found a snare with a dead rabbit in it once, and the rabbit was only caught by his foot. So how long was he there before he suffered and died? My neighbors dog also got caught in a snare, he did die instantly, but I will NEVER get that image out if my head.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 10:42 AM

Hunting; whether for sport or survival, in my own opinion is an act of genetic dna, a sense of empowerment, a strategic situation with conflicting skills.

Genetic DNA- We have hunted for thousands of years, with the sole purpose of providing food, clothing and tools. This has been a way of life passed down from our fore-fathers and their fore-fathers and so on and so on... I believe we still have this ingrained in us to hunt and kill for the sake of meat, for the sake of clothing and tools. We as now-a-days these items are obtained in much eaier ways it's still in us to take part in hunting.

Sense of empowerment- The human moral is set to want to feel successful and victorious. When you hunt and successfully bag an animal this feeling is obtained. I don't beileve this is the sole purpose of hunting but it adds to the affect.

Strategic Situation- We are taught how to handle a firearm, we are taught the skills to track animals, understand their way of life, predict situations beased on animal tendencies and presumed actions. Hunting allows us to use these skills taught to us by mentors or our parents. Using a skill that is so nomadic yet important in our way of life. Eat or be eaten if you will.

The above are in now way the sole purpose of hunting. They are a collective thought from me on justifying why I hunt, why I feel it OK to kill an animal.

I do not agree with snaring as it presents torture to the situation. That same rabbit caught in a snare, I would have no problem shooting with a 12gauge shotgun.

Animals have did this for thousands of years as well. Do you disagree with a coyote who hunts and kills a white-tail? Granted it's for food but I eat the deer I kill. The only question I see here is the purpose behind humans hunting, our intentions and what drives us to do so. Do we have to have a reason? Do I need to justify myself?

Now, if someone was to just go shoot an animal and leave it there and not care to go get it and skin it, eat it, etc... then yes, I disagree.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 10:55 AM

I live in rural Nova Scotia, I grew up on wild meat, my daughter has grown up on wild meat, I guess I am not so opposed to hunting and eating, using the skin for a lively hood etc.. As I am just killing to kill. I don't want to get into this too much, because I don't want to insult someone I DO consider my friend on here. To kill coyote's because they have attacked is just wrong to me. It's like those people who have tigers and wild animals and make them do circus tricks, and when the animal lashes out, the animal gets killed. How fair is this? I think it's sickening. It's a wild animal, how do they expect it to act? I'm sorry I'm just venting...
    Networking Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 10:58 AM

I wasn't trying to argue with you specifically. Just providing my opinion on this matter. I also don't want to get into it with a friend, but I don't mind debating :)
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2011, 11:00 AM

Hello again:

Let's debate this: Utah has introduced legislation to have a state gun, just like a state flower or state tree. Is that a good thing?

excon
    Dogs Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 11:00 AM

Oh, I didn't think you were arguing with me :) There has been an on going debate, and I just didn't want to have any hard feelings with a member here. Debate away! I was more specifically talking about the killing to kill issue.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again:

Let's debate this: Utah has introduced legislation to have a state gun, just like a state flower or state tree. Is that a good thing?

excon

Sure why not, Utah is known for their weirdness :p
    Networking Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 11:04 AM

I will answer with a question?

"Is it a bad thing?"

The society is so eager to pronounce something as good or bad without asking if it's bad or good at all.

Before asking if an idea is good. Ask if it is bad. What are the bad outcomes of having a State gun? Usually by answering the "is it a bad thing?", you usually get your answer for "is it a good thing?"
    Dogs Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 11:07 AM

I don't think it's a bad thing, but then I grew up with and around guns. Maybe it will confirm to all us Canadians that you Americans really are gun lovers ;)

Edit: What I really wanted to say was gun yielding yahoo's, but I decided against it.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2011, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    "Is it a bad thing?"
    Hello again:

I think it's a bad thing for government to glorify guns.

excon
    Dogs Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 11:12 AM

I don't think it does. Budapest has a national dog, but I don't see it as glorifying dogs.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2011, 11:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    I don't think it does. Budapest has a national dog, but I don't see it as glorifying dogs.
    Hello again, Bella:

Of course, THAT is the question... If the state DIDN'T want to glorify guns, why mention them at all?

excon
    Dogs Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 11:21 AM

Hmmm... I guess I would think it's just being patriotic, you know, the amendments or what ever, being able to bare arms... etc...

I think people need to be more responsible for their own actions, be responsible...

So if a state or Province mentions something they are automatically glorifying it? Why does Utah say they want a state gun? What does it represent to them?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2011, 11:30 AM

Go Utah!. tell the paranoid gun grabbers where to stuff their opinions.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2011, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Hmmm.... I guess I would think it's just being patriotic, you know, the amendments or what ever, being able to bare arms... etc...

So if a state or Province mentions something they are automatically glorifying it? Why does Utah say they want a state gun? What does it represent to them?
    Hello again, Bella:

Well, it's MORE than just mentioning it. They're going to enshrine it as their state gun. If they just want to be patriotic, and pay homage to an amendment, why don't they make a state newspaper?

The Browning automatic in question, is made in Utah. They say, and I don't doubt it, that it is responsible for saving MORE lives during WWII, than any other gun. That's wonderful. I'm still not sure if that qualifies for the making of an entirely new category of state honored items, like trees and flowers.

excon
    Dogs Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 11:34 AM

Hey there Exy:

After explaining that it was made in Utah and saved more lives, I am more for it then before. That to me, would be something to be proud of. But you are talking to a military brat here...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tell me could this be a sign of a electrical fire getting ready to start? [ 3 Answers ]

OK I am smelling smoke in my house but I can't see it and we have had problems with the electrical wiring for sometime now and the outlets smell like burning plastic all of the outlets smell like that and the outlets are warm to touch Oh and the breakers are not shutting off even when the...

Air aim not working how can iget on aim on my psp [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best aim for psp

My best friend Aka Sister [ 1 Answers ]

Why Doesn't she want me Or love me. Why doesn't she like me the way that I do. But is with and cares for others.

Weird Food Combinations aka Gun Control LOL [ 257 Answers ]

Okay, this may not be a combo exactly but I salt my cantelope melon. . Oh, now here is one, and my hubby likes peanut butter and iceberg lettuce sandwiches! :p Fried Mars bars?? :eek:

View more questions Search