Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2010, 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Good story above, not that I believe it, but good story.

But that is what they teach at the academy is that no one knows what will happen, which is why prisons try to be careful on who they pick to be in the towers where they may have to shot an unarmed person running. Not something anyone wants to do I am sure.

But I have had to pull a weapon on someone many times over my life and carreer and it is one of those things, if you are not sure you can pull the trigger, you have no business carrying one.

The story above is a prime example, if a weapon is pulled it should have been used if and when the other person did anything agressive ( if that is why you have it pulled)
    Which of course is why I am alive to day, the other people who have pulled one on me before, paused or hesitated instead of pulling the trigger.
    Totally agree there... if you have it, or pull it out you better use it or the other guy WILL take if off you and use it against you. And the results of that won't be pretty.

Not many normal people WANT to be in the situation where they have to use it... they just don't want to the person that brought a knife to a gun fight. And if you won't fight for yourself or your family in your own home... then you forfeit rights to complain about crime.

Teach kids from an early age a real gun isn't a toy and they will respect it growing up... my father did that from a very early age... not sure how young... just young enough I don't remember when it was. Me or my brother never once played with a real gun even though we had several around in a gun rack. We knew what was a toy and what was real. They weren't locked and ammo was at hand...
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 8, 2010, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    The one time I was that close....I wasn't shaking...I was dead calm and focused (almost tunnel vision type of focus)....oh later was a different thing yeah a half hour later I had the shakes as bad as you imagined having ....but the focus, clarity and calm I had at that moment scared the hell out of me in hindsight...because I am rarely that focused and calm usually....and never when I'm upset or angry (yeah I am an excitible person)...and the fact I can still remember it so vividly even decades later.
    It's a comman fact that when faced with danger and high adreniline levels our bodies tend to go to tunnel vision to focus on the primary target. So your feeling is consistent with science. That's why police officers train so much to eliminate that factor and to broaden their view to eliminate danger and protect the innocent.
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 05:53 PM

Since its quiet and if you would like to see what it looks like in some basic gun classes Ill post it here to fill some time with.

Aesir training basic defensive carbine class oct 9-10 2010

Aesir Training.com

YouTube - 10-10-10 Basic Carbine class

YouTube - 10-10-10 Steve + Jeff

YouTube - 10-10-10 basic carbine Eddie

YouTube - 10-10-10 eddie2

YouTube - 10-10-10 Tim

YouTube - 10-10-10 Steve

YouTube - 10-10-10 Chris

YouTube - JJ 10-10-10

Thank you to Aesir Training for making and posting the vids for everyone to see.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2010, 05:14 AM

I sold my Taurus PT738 and got a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380.

WOW what a difference!

The magazine release is much better (not where my thumb will release it when shooting), it's got an active safety and clearly it's much more comfortable to shoot.

Super accurate at 25 feet.

I played around with it at 50 feet and did fairly well, but in reality I'll never use it in self defense at that range.
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 14, 2010, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    I sold my Taurus PT738 and got a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380.

WOW what a difference!!

The magazine release is much better (not where my thumb will release it when shooting), it's got an active safety and clearly it's much more comfortable to shoot.

Super accurate at 25 feet.

I played around with it at 50 feet and did fairly well, but in reality I'll never use it in self defense at that range.

Very nice !
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 31, 2010, 08:15 AM

Many have requested information about basics as well as instruction on firearm use. Im posting this link as it has a lot of good information on it. Its by a woman. So it's a great read with many more links.

Cornered Cat
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2010, 07:05 AM

Hello:

I thought my gun friends would appreciate this:

New Nail Gun, made by DeWALT

It can drive a 16-D nail through a 2x4 at 200 yards. It makes construction a breeze. You can sit in your lawn chair and build a fence. Just get your wife to hold the fence boards in place while you sit back, and relax. When she has the board in the right place, just fire away. With the hundred-round magazine, you can build the fence with a minimum of reloading. After a day of fence building with the new DeWalt Rapid fire nail gun, the wife will not ask you to build or fix anything else, probably, ever again.

excon
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2010, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

It can drive a 16-D nail through a 2x4 at 200 yards. It makes construction a breeze. You can sit in your lawn chair and build a fence. Just get your wife to hold the fence boards in place while you sit back, and relax. When she has the board in the right place, just fire away. With the hundred-round magazine, you can build the fence with a minimum of reloading. After a day of fence building with the new DeWalt Rapid fire nail gun, the wife will not ask you to build or fix anything else, probably, ever again.

excon
    I'm lovin' it! Where can I buy one of those? It would make great Christmas presents for me, myself and I. :)

... but it won't fit in my pocket very well, so I'll still carry my Smith and Wesson .380 in case I need to "quick draw" on a bad guy... or a bad fence that threatens me :)
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2010, 07:10 AM
    I'm lovin' it! Where can I buy one of those?
    G'morning, Rick:

Home Depot?? It IS a nail gun, after all.

excon
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2010, 07:14 AM

Sorry, can't reply now as I'm heading off to Home Depot to buy that sweet gun :)
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2010, 07:18 AM

Hello again, Rick:

It didn't occur to me before, but I suppose it could be fake. A friend emailed it to me. I did NOT see it in a magazine. You know how the internet is. Let me know what you find when you get home.

excon
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2010, 07:25 AM

It's not a fake. When I got to Home Depot I had to ask for the "special tools" section... and then when I got there I had to show my Concealed Carry license and then give the password that allowed me into their "special tools" area.

I bought the one that you suggested, and also their sweet rocket launcher.

... so now I'm good to go! :D
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Nov 29, 2010, 07:33 AM

...so now I'm good to go! :D
    Hello again, Rick:

So, it IS fake. I don't know. I looks real. What do I know about guns?

excon
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 29, 2010, 04:53 PM
    Hello again, Rick:

So, it IS fake. I dunno. I looks real. What do I know about guns?

excon
    It is real but it's a custom. That is the nice thing about AR's you can build them any way you like so long as you stay within the law. The new dip process for painting guns is awesome.
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2010, 06:39 AM
    It's not a fake. When I got to Home Depot I had to ask for the "special tools" section... and then when I got there I had to show my Concealed Carry license and then give the password that allowed me into their "special tools" area.

...so now I'm good to go! :D
    Oooooooooooo I like that dewalt caulking gun. Putting down a smooth bead with an old style one is a task I'm still trying to master.
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2010, 06:40 AM
    Hello:

excon
    At least its not pink.

My AR is Matte black... and will stay that way as long as I own it. And it's a very rare variant.

How many Colt AR-15's have you seen set up for the 7.62 X 39 round?
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2010, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    How many Colt AR-15's have you seen set up for the 7.62 X 39 round?
    Hello again, smoothy:

excon
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2010, 01:16 PM
    Hello again, smoothy:

excon
    Any idea where to get 30 round extended magazines for it? I made the mistake of not getting them when I got the rifle years ago and haven't had luck with admittedly half hearted searches for them.

Not sure how many they made of this variant. Don't know many that have even seen one.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2010, 02:24 PM

OK, I see this is a gun thread... and I'd like an opinion...

Guys I have my restricted firearms license (canada) and I'm looking into buying rugers SR9 series 9mm semi-auto pistol... but I can't really afford the 700+ (after taxes) price. The reason I want the sr9 series, well heck rugers 9 mm in general is because of the safety being on both sides *i'm left handed* and I don't want to buy a custom left handed gun right now... Anyone know of any other makes and models (not revolvers please, pistols only. Preferabally semi-auto) that has the dual sided safety that would be in a lower price range in canada...

This is the one I was looking at on cabelas.ca

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?page...2=1726&ID=9764
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 30, 2010, 03:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by binx44 View Post
    ok, i see this is a gun thread... and i'd like an opinion....

guys i have my restricted firearms license (canada) and i'm looking into buying rugers SR9 series 9mm semi-auto pistol... but i can't really afford the 700+ (after taxes) price. The reason i want the sr9 series, well heck rugers 9 mm in general is because of the safety being on both sides *i'm left handed* and i dont want to buy a custom left handed gun right now... Anyone know of any other makes and models (not revolvers please, pistols only. preferabally semi-auto) that has the dual sided safety that would be in a lower price range in canada...

this is the one i was looking at on cabelas.ca

Cabelas Canada - Firearms-Reloading - Handguns & Pistols - Ruger SR9 Semi Auto 9mm Pistol

Most modern semiauto's have dual safety. The trick is that if you're a leftie then you need to pay attention to the mag release. On some models when shooting with the left hand it can get easily released. Also taurus is making some fine weapons. They even have a new sa/da model out. Something that can come in handy under extreme times..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tell me could this be a sign of a electrical fire getting ready to start? [ 3 Answers ]

OK I am smelling smoke in my house but I can't see it and we have had problems with the electrical wiring for sometime now and the outlets smell like burning plastic all of the outlets smell like that and the outlets are warm to touch Oh and the breakers are not shutting off even when the...

Air aim not working how can iget on aim on my psp [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best aim for psp

My best friend Aka Sister [ 1 Answers ]

Why Doesn't she want me Or love me. Why doesn't she like me the way that I do. But is with and cares for others.

Weird Food Combinations aka Gun Control LOL [ 257 Answers ]

Okay, this may not be a combo exactly but I salt my cantelope melon. . Oh, now here is one, and my hubby likes peanut butter and iceberg lettuce sandwiches! :p Fried Mars bars?? :eek:

View more questions Search