Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    markwahlberg Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2010, 01:37 PM
    2001 mercury sable intermittent startup problems
    it is my grandmothers car and she has been stuck with it not starting up a couple of times. It has been in and out of the shop for the same problem. We had the starter changed about a year ago, that didn't correct the problem. The mechanic says he has contacted about 9 other mechanics and have all stated various things that could be the problem. The alternator seems to be okay, the battery is fine, and apparently the fuel inlet valve has been changed. Regardless, the car will still randomly not start up.
    she describes the noise it makes as a humming when it won't startup. No grinding, so I ruled out, I haven't been able to duplicate the problem. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Most recently we had the connections to the starter tightened, but issue persists.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2010, 02:30 PM

Does it crank but not start or does the starter motor not crank?

If the starter motor doesn't crank, she may be hearing the fuel pump in the gas tank run (hum) for several seconds, as it pressurizes the fuel rail.

I would begin by removing and fully charging, or replacing, the battery. Most auto parts stores will test and charge batteries for free. Mercury Sables are extremely reliable cars. I doubt that anything major is wrong. Make sure she has changed the fuel filter in the last 30,000 miles and that the spark plugs have been changed in the last 3 years. Only use the same Motorcraft platinum spark plugs that came in the car.

At this point, my bet is that the main problem is with the battery. Don't assume it's O.K. just because the lights and horn work. It may be that the condition of the spark plugs and fuel pump have caused her to drain the battery, as she tries to get it started.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2010, 02:33 PM

Persistent humming, or only when the key is in the start position?

At first I thought it may have been a clogged filter or something, but you seem to be describing problem more related to the ignition and electrical system rather than a fuel problem.

I believe on your car you have a separate location for the starter and solenoid, maybe you are having issues with that if it isn't the starter itself. You can check by directly crossing the power wires in it. It would be the two thicker ones, not the smaller ones. One comes from the battery, and then the other goes to the starter itself. Also check for bad grounds.

Good Luck.

Jun 20, 2010, 02:53 PM
    Thanks guys. Appreciate your knowledge and expertise in the matter.
    Txgreasemonkey: the starter motor does not crank. So that could be indicative of a fuel problem?

Infojunkie4life: the humming persists the entire time it is in the startup position. I will mention the solenoid to the mechanic and see what he has to say about it. Thank you very much.

Jun 20, 2010, 02:57 PM

Oh didn't see the updated post. Okay. So the battery has been replaced but I am unsure of the spark plugs. The fuel filter has also been replaced within 30k. Okay, you guys have given me some things to look into, so I greatly appreciate it!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2010, 03:09 PM

Since the starter motor does not crank, this link should help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235560

Jul 5, 2010, 06:35 PM
    Thanks for all your assistance. Put a new starter in, running smooth now. Thanks all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fuel pump testing-2001 Mercury Sable [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Mercury Sable that has been sitting for two months while I was in the hospital... I went to start it yesterday and it wouldn't turn over. It was not getting any gas. I checked the fuel filter, fuel pump fuse and relay and the emergency switch in the trunk... they are all good. I can't...

2001 Mercury Sable fuel pump [ 1 Answers ]

On a 2001 Mercury Sable, how do you test a fuel pump off the car? Thanks

2001 Mercury Sable won't start up [ 1 Answers ]

On a 2001 Mercury Sable, if the fuel pump doesn't make a sound after the ignition is turned on, does that mean it is bad? If the fuel pressure regulator is bad, will the fuel pump still come on or make a sound? I really need help. I can't start up my car... Thanks in advance.

2001 Mercury Sable fuel filter [ 1 Answers ]

On a 2001 Mercury Sable fuel filter there are three lines... one going in from the gas tank and two going out to the fuel rail and/or injectors. What is this third line for and could it possibly be the reason I cannot get any gas to start the car? Electrical is good, fuel pressure is good @42, fuel...

View more questions Search