Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Miranda Posts: 54, Reputation: 5

Dec 12, 2006, 08:05 AM
    How long should I wait?
    Hello,

I have been trying to conceive since sept and have been tracking my cycles. My cycle sept - oct was 26 days, Oct - Nov was 29 days, and I have not gotten my period this month yet. Today is the 33rd day, and still no sign of my period. I took a hpt Sunday and it was negative, and an hpt this morning, and it was still negative. I really do not have any pregnancy symptoms except for sore nipples, and no period yet. I also do not have any symptoms of a period coming soon. I usually get sore breasts before my period starts, but I have nothing. Could it be that I am pregnant, but not enough hcg in my system yet? The pregnancy tests I took said that you could test 5 days BEFORE your missed period. Any input?

Also, a little beckground, I am 25, was on the because pill for 10 years, just stopped taking it in sept.

Thanks!
    kerryAR Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2006, 01:02 PM
    Coming off the pill can cause your period to be a little irregular for a while so this could be what is happening, it takes a few months sometimes to adjust. However you could also be pregnant if you have been trying, it would be better to test in 7 days, then if you are pregnant there would definitely be enough hcg to show positive.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 12, 2006, 01:08 PM
    Kerry is on the right path here. It can take some women up to a year to have a regular period after coming off the pill. It all depends on your hormone levels and the particular pill you were on.

However, it can take a matter of several weeks for there to be enough hcg (pregnancy hormone) in your body for a home pregnancy test to detect. Yes, some tests are designed to be able to take 5 days before a missed period, however, this is just an average and is not true for everyone. So it would be safe for you to take another test in 7 days. If that is negative and you still do not have your period you need to make a doctor's appointment.

Until that time, treat your body as though it is pregnant.
    Miranda Posts: 54, Reputation: 5

Dec 15, 2006, 07:45 AM
    Still no period and a negative hpt this morning. Today is the 36th day. I still do not have any pregnant signs nor any sign of my period about to start. At what point should I call my doctor? Should I wait a little longer and take another test?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 15, 2006, 07:52 AM
    You should call your doctor today. Make an appointment just to make sure everything is okay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long do I wait? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I was dating a girl for about 4 months. We knew each other from work. She had told me that she had a crush on me from the first day she met me. We are both 27. About 3 1/2 weeks ago she told me that she still cares a lot about me but she just can't do this right now. I excepted her...

How long to wait after miscarraige [ 7 Answers ]

I would have assumed to wait until after my next period to try to conceive, but my doctor said it was OK before then, I'm not a doctor but would have thought this was incorrect. Any info would be great, think I will wait anyway.

How long did you wait? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all! My divorce was only final a year ago, but I was separated for 3 years before that... just out of curiosity.. if any of you have remarried, how long did you wait? Im considering getting married again, and I do uderstand that the time in between is different for everyone, Im just curious. Ive...

How long should we wait? [ 2 Answers ]

OK here goes... me and my boyfriend have one child already but he is from my previous rship so he's mine but not his... he has been wanting one very badly.. we are planning to get married soon(within the next few months).. been together for a year and a half.. my son is turning a year old in...

View more questions Search