Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdavison Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Jun 19, 2010, 10:38 AM
    Should I just stay at home or should I go?
    I'm 26 and I'm still living at home. I am working and stayed at home after University to help my mum with my youngest sister. My older sisters had all moved out and it was just the three of us. Now my mum is in a relationship and is moving out of the city with my kid sister. One of my elder sisters has moved back home because of problems with her fiancé. I've found a decent place to move into and I am planning on getting married next year.

Problem is, my mum wants me and my sis to stay at home instead of renting the house out. I want a complete change of scenery. I just want a new slate, like to feel like I'm making progress. My sister wants us to stay at my mum's house when they move but only for a while so we both see how it goes. My girlfriend wants me to move. My mum wants me to stay. She doesn't see why I should pay someone else rent and not just stay at home. I don't know what to do. It would be cheaper for me if I moved out but I would be sharing with a few other people.

What do you guys and girls think?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2010, 10:46 AM

26, long past time to start living your own life
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 19, 2010, 04:17 PM
    I would move- stick to your plan.

Time to start a new chapter in your life. Close the book on the old one.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 19, 2010, 05:39 PM

Do your own thing, and be happy, and let everyone else do their own thing, and be happy, without you.
    cdavison Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Jun 20, 2010, 12:03 AM

Thank you, everyone. I guess I know what needs to be done. Just a bit frightened about stepping out and I don't want to upset my mum. I do have my own plans now and moving out is what I really want to do. These life decisions are so hard!
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 21, 2010, 04:42 AM
    Yes, these life decisions are hard, but it is your life, and yours alone to live as you wish.

My son made a decision to go to S.Korea to teach. He didn't ask me, he told me, in a nice way of course, but, there was no negotiating involved. He was grown up enough and responsible enough to know what he wanted. I guess that means as a parent, I am successful, although it doesn't feel that way.

Life is too short to hold yourself back from gaining any experience that comes your way. You'll win some, and you'll lose some, but it is all a part of living as an independent adult.

All the best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How old is old enough to stay home alone? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a question regarding my 7 year old son (1st grader)... occasionally my husband picks him up after school and then leaves him home alone for a couple of hours so he can go back to work to finish a job. He is a business owner and sometimes it's crucial he gets back to finish something. He...

Work or stay home? [ 4 Answers ]

I don't have a family yet, or even a husband, so don't laugh too hard, but I am considering becoming a teacher so that down the line I will be able to stay home with my future kids. I guess I never really thought I was the "teacher type" - I work in business now. However, it seems like it is very...

Stay at Home Moms [ 9 Answers ]

Would you abandon your career to be a stay at home mom?

Stay at home mom's [ 7 Answers ]

I am in need of the REAL value of a stay at home mom. I have checked out sites for Nannies, and house keepers, and I am getting some ideas. But, I am really needing to know, when my fiancé throws in my face that he pays all the bills, do I have any right to throw back of the cost that I am...

FiancŽ wants me to stay home [ 11 Answers ]

I have a son still at home and I am raising my grandson who is 3. I am marrying a man who has never married and has no children. He feels the children really need me to stay home. To be perfectly honest, I really want to stay home too. The problem is I don't feel right having him be our only...

View more questions Search