Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    devin8351 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2010, 12:04 AM
    Strange question for those that understand electricity or kilowatt meter boxes
    This is going to sound a little crazy, but please bear with me. I am asking you guys because you seem to be knowledgeable, and I know very little about electricity.

I am moving into a new apartment, with one bedroom only. It is an apartment building that has 6 units (so a small building), 5 of which are one bedroom units that total about 700 sq feet each (the other unit is a 2 bedroom... long story, not really important).

So this is just a long, narrow building. Picture a thin rectangle that goes "north-to-south" and is divided with 5 horizontal lines. That is basically the floorplan of the building. And each unit has a front door and a back door.

My unit will be in the middle (not an end unit). My bedroom is on the back of my apartment, and has 4 walls (obviously) and 1 of those 4 walls is an exterior wall with a window.

Right below this window, on the ground actually, are the 6 electric kilowatt meters (the ones the electric company reads) that are housed in some kind of wooden box painted green.

If my memory serves me correctly, the power lines that go from the pole (and I think the pole has a transformer on it) touch the building on the corner of the building itself, so they are touching one of the end units, not my unit... picture the upper left corner of the "north-south" rectangle floorplan I described.

Here is the problem/question: I am trying to avoid as much electricity as possible (I would rather not go into detail, but I get figity when electrical devices like electric blankets are close to my skin... it is strange, but all I know is I can't be near too much electricity).

So I am wondering if those meters themselves indicate that there will be a lot of electricity surging through the exterior side of my bedroom wall. Or are they just "meters" and the electricity being supplied to the whole building doesn't actually go "through" them? Or does it? That's my main question.

I could be wrong that the power lines are coming in via one of the "end" units. I try to avoid things like power lines say... 10 feet from my bed (I did live in an apartment once where I was on the 4th floor and the power line was very close to my bed... I could stare at it).

I have also heard that people like me who don't do well around electricity should sleep 10 feet away from the "panel" or breaker box. I realize some apartment buildings have their own panels and some have just a massive panel for the whole building, right?

Should I assume that if there's a main panel, it is by the meters? I just don't see where it would be. Because I'd like to avoid having my bed next to the panel. And I'd also like to avoid the meters IF all the building's power has to go through them first... (so that is the question I'd like answered the most... is the building's power going through those meters?)

So I'm wondering, knowing what you guys know about my building, is there a lot of electricity going through the meters and thus, that bedroom wall... in the same way that electricity is going through the panel? Should I avoid sleeping within 10 feet of that wall like I avoid the electrical panel. Because all the power goes through electrical panels too, right? Or do the meters just measure, but they aren't a "vessel" for all the power as it makes its way to our appliances and lightbulbs?

I hope my question makes sense. I am just afraid to put my bed next to the meters, but I don't know if I should be.

Thank you so much! Hoping to get some replies in the morning, because I need to decide about the apartment by Saturday afternoon.
    devin8351 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2010, 12:15 AM

Sorry, I realize I asked a ton of questions.

If you guys could just answer the question about if all the building's electricity is going through the meters outside my bedroom, that would be fine. I just want to avoid sleeping near high amounts of electricity. Or am I only being exposed at the "destination" (like being close to the electric blanket itself)?

Thank you!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2010, 03:29 AM
    All the power needed by the entire building is passing through those meters.

What your affected by is the Electromotive Force, or EMF, which is the fluctuating magnetic field surrounding the electrical equipment.

Googling "emf sensitivity", finds this:
    emf sensitivity - Google Search

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What size meter/tap size do I need to run public water 0.3 miles from meter to house [ 3 Answers ]

I need to connect to public water for a variety of reasons. City Engineering has told me I need to make the determination of tap size. House is ~ 0.3 miles from where meter will be installed on driveway/public street junction. City Engineering will make no recommendations on tap size but have...

Electric furnace kilowatt usage [ 1 Answers ]

I have purchased a used mobile home 1999, with an Evcon Model EB208 electric furnace. I would like to know how many kilowatts it will take to heat my 1200 sq ft home with this furnace. I live in southern Alberta, Canada. Hydro is not cheap. I want to know if I should replace furnace with a gas...

Running 2 100 amp breaker boxes on 200 amp meter base [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 100 amp breaker boxes,but the meter base is 100 amp.Wanting to put 200 amp metet service with disconnect box.Can some one tell me if this is possible.and how you would connect the 2 breaker boxes to the disconnect box.Thank you

What is the avg. Gas p.s.I. From gas meter on the residentcial side of meter [ 2 Answers ]

What is the avg. gas p.s.I. from gas meter on the residentcial side of meter. I think its 5 lbs. I live in Los Angeles, don't know if it changes from state to state.:eek:

Mains electricity question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I live in spain where the electricity mains are 220V 50Hz. I live about 400 metres from town and have a cable which contains 2 wires with a diameter of 10 (not sure what the ten stands for) that runs to my house and delivers mains current. I supply the third ground wire at site with a...

View more questions Search