Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    enquiring_mind Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2010, 11:56 PM
    How are outside scholarships typically applied to a student's account?
    Hello experts and subscribers! I received a $1,000 scholarship from the Imagine America Foundation in November 2009. However, the scholarship has not been applied to my tuition account. :eek: Someone in financial told me that it will post to my account at the end of my program. This is not logical, especially when next semester I'll have to come out of pocket $1018 after my pell grant and student loans posts to cover my tuition.It seems logical for financial aid to apply the scholarship to my account next semester. This way I would not have to borrow as much money in student loans. Is this policy unethical? How are scholarships typically applied to a student's account? :confused:

Regards,

enquiring_mind
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Jun 25, 2010, 06:56 PM

Enquiring - do you have a copy of the award notification from the Imagine America Foundation? I would try to call them and ask for clarification on their policy for grant reimbursement... e.g. do they pay once you satisfactorily complete the semester, etc.

If the foundation's policy is that they only release the grant after the courses have been satisfactorily completed, that is their policy. It is totally ethical for them to create whatever policy they want to since they are the student's benefactor. The onus of having enough funds available to pay your tuition bill is on you. You just have to be sure when you plan your semesters out that you completely understand how your student loans, grants, etc. are being disbursed so that you can prepare accordingly.

I know it is frustrating to find yourself in that spot where you need dough to pay your college bills and to start looking for someone responsible for your situation... but you have to look to yourself and realize that this is a learning process (the college process that is) and you have to have all of the facts and understand every move that you make.

Jun 26, 2010, 05:35 PM
    Wow! Finally an answer. Thanks jakester! I saved a copy of the award notification and will contact Imagine America on Monday morning. I truly appreciate your valid answer and now understand if this is their policy. I will plan accordingly and will continue to maintain my 4.0 GPA! Thanks again jakester!

Regards,

enquiring_mind
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 05:43 PM

First you got an answer fairly quick, no one is paid here, we do this in our spare time, so depending on where you live and the time.

It can be hours at best normally and often it will take a day or two for some experts to come back with follow up.

As noted, many scholarships are done requiring a certain GPA, so if you do not make it for that term, it does not apply

Jun 26, 2010, 06:37 PM

Hello Fr_Chuck and thank you so much for your reply! I received your warning message and will read the posting rules. When I registered, I did not see a Terms of Service link at the bottom of the page like most websites, so I did not read the posting rules. After much digging, I found it and will be sure to comply. Thanks for alerting me and God bless!

Jun 26, 2010, 06:48 PM

Hey jakester, I am not able to rate your answer. I do not see a link for it. :-(
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Jun 26, 2010, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by enquiring_mind View Post
    Hey jakester, I am not able to rate your answer. I do not see a link for it. :-(
    Thanks enquiring mind - I'm not sure... if you look at my my post above, do you see a square box titled "Comments on this post" with a Give yours button (Agree or Disagree)? If not, that's OK... it's the thought that counts ;)

Jun 26, 2010, 07:20 PM
    Sorry jakester, but the only square box I see is the blue QUOTE USER box. :-(

enquiring_mind

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability. Which student's data are the best estimate. [ 5 Answers ]

Some students threw three fair dice, each numbered from 1 to 6. They recorded how many times the numbers on the dice were the same. Name 1) Number of throws 2) All different 3) to the same 4) All the same Masood 1) 40 2) 26 3) 12 4) 2

Typically ;the UN is ineffective in Burma [ 6 Answers ]

UN Envoy Ibrahim Gambari met with several low level junta members but is being ignored by the top brass in the government. An estimated 20,000 troops filled the streets of Rangoon during Gambari's visit to prevent any protests from forming. But no need to worry ;the revolt has been effectively...

How many baby teeth do people typically have? [ 4 Answers ]

Typical People Have How Many Baby Teeth?

How much oil do you typically put in lawnmowers [ 3 Answers ]

Hey all, I have a lawnboy lawnmower. I lost my instruction manual in a Hurricane Flood so I thought I would ask to be sure. How much oil do you typically put in a lawnmower. I have a very durable lawnboy that was floded by Hurricane Katrina and once cleaned out, started fine but I...

View more questions Search