Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwhite4 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2010, 04:30 PM
    Sold furniture on Craigslist . She paid cash but respond to pick up 3 weeks so far
    She took the drawers, etc. I have nicely emailed 3 times and left 2 phone messages but no response. She promised shed pick up in a couple weeks, now its been 3 so far. I want to be nice but need these out, think she is being very rude not even responding. How long do I have to provide free storage? Im ready to just disassemble the frames and put in the trash to be done. Am I legally bound to store this furniture forever? Any legal help would be nice, thanks
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2010, 04:35 PM
    Hi, dwhite4!

How far away from you does she live, please?

Thanks!

Jun 18, 2010, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhite4 View Post
    She took the drawers, etc. I have nicely emailed 3 times and left 2 phone messages but no response. She promised shed pick up in a couple weeks, now its been 3 so far. I want to be nice but need these out, think she is being very rude not even responding. How long do I have to provide free storage? Im ready to just disassemble the frames and put in the trash to be done. Am I legally bound to store this furniture forever? Any legal help would be nice, thanks

She lives about half an hour away but I do not have her address, her cell has no address either... and I am not delivering it as they do not fit in my car.
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2010, 04:45 PM
    Do you know her first and last name, please?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 18, 2010, 04:49 PM

OK, several issues

1. you needed to have made and set a set date and time to pick them up. You needed to inform them at the time of sale how long they had. It appears you just said, OK when you can come, it will be here.

2. with no physcial address you can not even give them proper legal notice to come pick it up.

So now that you really messed it up in the original sale. ( normally they have 24 hours to pick it up) but now you will have to talk to her directly, not voice mail and give them a exact date and inform them the items may be resold after that point.
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2010, 04:54 PM
    Also, did you give her a receipt that she had paid cash?

Jun 19, 2010, 06:41 AM
    At the sale on the 6th, we agreed upon a couple weeks. That's approximately 2 weeks. I gave her no receipt. I suggested she take the drawers so she would feel confident I wouldn't resale. So the drawers I guess are the receipt. I know her first name, email address, and have here cell so I could get her address if I paid money. I have a record of emails and phone calls. Let say I wait 2 months, continue to email and call (both the information she gave me) then just discard the dresser frames after repeated documented warnings that I would do so continually reiterated the deal we made.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2010, 07:31 AM

You need to be clear, not "wait" you must give her an exact time, demand it be picked up, and if not, inform her that it will be disposed of.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 weeks late, read and respond. [ 4 Answers ]

I was on birth control for 7 years... and I stopped taking it regularly last June... I would take it randomly when I felt the need to but I ended up giving up because I can't remember it ever and the pill actually started to make me gag... I have been off the pill officially and completely for 3...

Am I obligated to refund money for an item sold on Craigslist? [ 10 Answers ]

I recently sold a wireless headset on craigslist. The item had never been used, was still in original box with all plastic wrapping sealed and was advertised as such. Later that night the man who purchased it called me and claimed it was defective... he asked for the receipt, which of course I do...

Sold a motorcycle on craigslist and buyer is unhappy and is sueing [ 11 Answers ]

OK well here's my story: I recently sold a motorcycle on craigslist. (listing is at the bottom). I had it for a total of little more than 2 weeks before I sold it. I bought the bike to be an second bike to keep from racking up miles on my other motorcycle or become a stunt bike. When I bought the...

Buyer paid but won't pick up motorcycle [ 5 Answers ]

Ok here is the deal... My Friend posted his Motorcycle on eBay to be sold for $6500. Soon after another service member (we are in the military) contacted him and asked him to end the auction and he would come purchase the bike. The man arrived the next day, my friend asked him if he would like to...

Sold motorcycle, got cash, buyer won't pick up bike? [ 5 Answers ]

Two days ago on the 12th a man responded to an ad we had in the local paper about a motorcycle we owned and were selling. He came by w/ his girlfriend and after about 30 minutes of discussion between the two of them, ultimately bought the bike. He did not want to ride it prior to buying it...

View more questions Search