Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mlawler Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2010, 10:54 AM
    How to preserve a newspaper
    I have a newspaper with President Obama being sworn into office and I want to preserve it for my grandchild. Could you please help me in doing the preservation of this day?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2010, 11:21 AM
    Hi, mlawler!

Are you wanting to preserve the whole newspaper or just the pages that have the sections concerning the inauguration, please?

Thanks!

Jun 18, 2010, 11:44 AM
    I would like to preserve the whole paper. I believe my grandchild would like to see how the newspaper was done in the "old days." Thank you for respninding.

Jun 18, 2010, 11:51 AM
    [QUOTE=mlawler;2399527]

I would like to preserve the whole paper. I believe my grandchild would like to see how the newspaper was done in the "old days." Thank you for responding. I am pleased thatI found this site.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2010, 12:14 PM
    One thing that you don't want, is for the newspaper to get wet or be in a moist environment. For right now, and until the newspaper has had a number of months to dry out, I would suggest unfolding it from the right to left fold and storing it flat between some other newspapers, but not a heavy pile of newspapers. I have some newspapers from the 1940's that still look quite good that have just been stored in an attic between other newspapers.

I recommend waiting to put newsprint into any other protective type of material until the newsprint has had some time to thoroughly dry out. If it's not thoroughly dry, then there is more of a likelihood for mold and certain types of insects to develop in it.

There is also some excellent information available in the following publication.

http://www.mnhs.org/about/publicatio...kMarch1997.pdf

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As a student how can I preserve the environment? [ 2 Answers ]

Extemporeneous with beginning. Body, and ending. The question is As a student HOW can I preserve the environment? Tnx u... :)

How can I preserve pulled teeth [ 2 Answers ]

I have kept pulled teeth in isopropyl alcohol for years because I want to make a necklace from them but they are turning black. How can I either keep them the way they are now or make them white again. How can I preserve them for future use?

Preserve wood fence [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best preservative and method of application for a wooden vertical board fence? The fence was installed almost two years ago and is certainly ready for a coat of some kind of preservative, but I really don't know what type/brand is best. Also, what about application? I'd be glad...

View more questions Search