Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ckeath Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2010, 09:24 PM
    Advice/Help On Being Fired From Job
    Hi I went into work and found that I was being terminated. I work for a grocery/retail store as a cashier and on the sales floor. They told me I was being terminated because when I would check the customer out I would give them a coupon from our own flyer to save them a little more on the item and also pointed out where they could save some money with our store coupons in the flyer when I was checking them out (which are for the customers in our flyers) and they said that is theft and that is why I was being terminated. Is this for real? I have never heard of such a thing. I go to grocery stores and they always point me to where I can get a coupon from the flyer or they will give me one. What should I do about this?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2010, 09:36 PM
    Hi, ckeath!

How long did you work for the store, please?

Thanks!

Jun 17, 2010, 10:07 PM

I worked for the store for 4 years
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 17, 2010, 10:09 PM

This doesn't seem right.

Are the coupons free? Are they available to anyone? If so, how is that theft?

I could understand if they're selling coupon packages and you're clipping out coupons from the books they're selling, but if these coupons are available to the public and you're just pointing them out, then that's good customer service, not theft.

Sorry, not a legal expert, but this just doesn't sound right to me.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2010, 05:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ckeath View Post
    What should I do about this?
    Hello c:

Assuming you're not in a union, they can fire you for ANY reason, or no reason at all. But, they can't make up a reason that damages your reputation... I'd visit a lawyer.

excon

Jun 18, 2010, 06:10 AM

The coupons are free. They have them in the store flyers as well as you can find them hanging up in isles. It is not a union store nor live in a union state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Signing All Paperwork for a Job, Then Getting Fired [ 12 Answers ]

I was a temp at a well-known company for three months. I was very diligent and never missed a day. I even went around asking for additional work when my work was finished. Everyone praised me, and I was told by many they'd be nuts not to hire me. I was not informed of the fact that I had to pass a...

Can you get fired for becoming stressed over your job? [ 5 Answers ]

I had recently been out many half days due to my bipolar disorder worsening. I've been with the agency for 9 months and have worked a position that is far more challenging than was on the job description they provided when I accepted the position. Due to continuous stress, I had to take a sick...

Fired from my job at church [ 12 Answers ]

I worked for a church as their Worship Director for 3.5 years and was let go this past May. I've been married to an abusive man for 15 years, and long-story-short, I wrongly got myself involved in an emotional affair with another man... someone who understood what I was going through. Another...

Fired from my job [ 3 Answers ]

A co-worker and I got into an altercation. We were in another town, and that supervisor never said anything. So about 8 hours go bye we finish the job, and then we drive 2 hours to our dock. I went to sleep for about 4 or 5 hours, and when I get up my supervisor calls me in the office and tells...

View more questions Search