Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harig Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2010, 01:51 PM
    Sale of inherited property in India
    We are US citizens with PIO card We are planning to sell our inherited property in India.
    One of the prospective buyers is in US Can he pay price of the property in US dollars into
    Our bank account in US or does he have to convert the money, pay it in India and we take it back to US with RBI permission.

What are the tax consequences in US if we report and pay the taxes in India under dual tax avoidance treaties In india I understand we will end up paying long term gains at 20% plus surcharge which is higher than in US so effectively US tax will be zero?
    kulbhushan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2011, 01:30 PM
    I sold the property bequeathed to me by my mother and purshased a flat in Bombay India. At the time of my mothers death al my children (2 sons and 1 daughter) were minior. I am the owner of the flat. I am now a US citizen and desire to sell the flat. Mt children who are major now and as per verbal declaration of my grand mother, her prperty was to evnetually pass on to her grad children but since the children were minor thereore I became the sole beneficiary, and disposed off the inherited property and purchased the flat in my name. Now my children demand that the property be given to them in deference to the wises of their deceased grandmother. My children have advised the Housing Society accordingly. Now I am not in a position to sell my flat in India as my children are reluctant to give me the consent for its sale and Housing Society is not giving the approval for its sale. Please guide.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes after sale of inherited property [ 7 Answers ]

My father passed away in May of 2009. My sister and I were the beneficiaries of a retirement fund and a piece of property. Everything was split 50/50. My question is, since taxes were taken out of the retirement check, will I have to pay any additional tax? Also, the property title was...

Sale of out of state inherited property [ 4 Answers ]

I understand for federal capital gains tax on the sale of inherited property that the basis is based on the FMV of the property within 30 days of my father’s death in 2004. Therefore the gain is the difference of the basis vs. the sale price. I am a resident of Colorado and I have property in...

Taxes on Sale of Property Inherited [ 2 Answers ]

My sister and I lost our Mom in Dec and she left us several properties. We plan to sell her house this spring. We are wondering about the tax implications here. Will we have to pay taxes on all that we inherited when we sell it. Thanks for your help.

Tax on sale of Inherited Property [ 1 Answers ]

My mother passed away in Nov of 2006 and left her home that was in trust to myself and my two sisters. We sold the property in mid 2007. Is there any tax owed on the sale of the home? The house was in trust, so don't know why there would be. But read on IRS site that we must fine the basis of the...

View more questions Search