Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lms06 Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Jun 17, 2010, 01:43 PM
    Motorcycle for a Girl?
    I'm thinking about getting a Sportsbike (or the term that I really dislike, yet some refer to them as, a crotchrocket) I'm a 22 year old girl, I'm around 5'6 and about 110lbs. I was thinking of going with something small to start with (maybe a Kawasaki Ninja 250) and after riding it for several months to a year until I'm comfortable with it, maybe moving up to something bigger and faster)

My first question is,

Would I be able to handle that type of bike? And does anyone have any other suggestions as to what other bikes I should consider or check out?

My Second question is,

What to guys (and other girls I guess too) think of girls on bikes? I don't want to come across as "one of the guys" or 'manly' I'm extremely feminine, and many would be surprised to know I have a strong tom boy side. I would just like some opinions of what some of you think?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 17, 2010, 01:44 PM

What about a Vesta?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2010, 01:52 PM

You should do fine with a bike that size... might want to check out even slightly larger since you are thinking you might switch in a year's time, or less, anyway. Why spend the extra money on a second one within a year?

People are going to have varying opinions of girls on bikes. Some guys might think it's a bit rough, others will think it's great! Most probably don't give it a second thought one way or another. Does it really matter? If you like it, go for it... you can certainly maintain, and even show off, your feminine side. Visit a bike shop and check out all the gear for us girls... :) You'll find plenty of accessories to "girl it up" if you want to. Here's a really girly bike... over the top!

Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 17, 2010, 06:55 PM

And of course test ride several, get a feel for the bike that suits you best. I still prefer the street bike over that type, but it is always a personal issue
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 17, 2010, 08:16 PM
    The absolute first thing you should do is take a Motorcycle Foundation Safety Course. They will teach you everything you need to know about riding and it will give you skills that will make you a better driver as well. Every state offers them. Even if you already know how to ride it's still the best thing you can do.

Once you've taken the course you may want to consider starting with a mid-size cruiser style bike. You're fairly tall and shouldn't have a problem with most sportbikes but cruisers have a lower center of gravity and I think they're easier when you're learning. The MSC classes usually use small cruisers for just that reason.

Go to a bunch of different dealers and sit on every style of bike you can find. Look for something that feels comfortable. When you find something you like start checking for a used model. Buy it, ride it as much as you possibly can and when you start finding yourself looking for 6th gear it's time to find a faster bike. :)

Good luck and enjoy!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ask experts motorcycle [ 2 Answers ]

Will it effect performance of two wheeler engiene if it is kept idle for many days and how often shold I change oil if kept idle

Why motorcycle gives smog [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I am pradeep Please give me easy answer

Motorcycle carb [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 89 hd superglide and need to replace the needle valve on the carb. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance

Motorcycle accident [ 3 Answers ]

Motorcycle accident due to an illegal lane change. I was riding my motorcycle down a street. A van in the right turning lane from me decided switch into my lane. Keep in mind that I was right beside him and he had to cross over a white solid line to attempt to go staight. Well I had no...

Lean against motorcycle [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all I am in a bit of a quagmire here. I bought a motorcycle and I find out 2 years later that the bike has a lean on it. I bought the bike from a dealer in Ontario, and have a bill of sale that indicates it is free and clear. I have also put plates on this bike for 2 years, but when I...

View more questions Search