Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HotPotato2009 Posts: 706, Reputation: 15

Jun 17, 2010, 08:15 AM
    How to take care of a spider plant?
    Hi Guys!

I have a spider plant at home hanging on the ceiling in the kitchen. I don't have a pot for it yet. I;ve had the plant for almost 3 weeks now.

How should I take care of this plant so it doesn't die? Cause it turning colors... like, the plant is the color of a leaf on a tree, now its turning into a limer green (in certain spots). Is that OK?

This is my first plant, so I'm not sure what I have to do.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2010, 08:29 AM

It's hanging from the ceiling with no pot and it's a spider plant? It has roots and roots need soil to provide nutrients so I'm somewhat confused.

But here's a good site - Spider Plant | Caring for Spider Plants | Plant-Care.com

Jun 17, 2010, 08:32 AM

I didn't know that I NEEDED to have a pot.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2010, 08:33 AM

Is it in a vase of water? Is it getting sun? Sounds like maybe it isn't getting proper nutrients. You could give it some plant food, like miracle grow.
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2010, 08:35 AM

What is it hanging from/off? Is it somehow nailed to the ceiling?

Be careful of overfertilizing it once you pot it.

Did you read the info on the site I posted?

Jun 17, 2010, 08:44 AM

@ ZoeMarie - It a plant that I bought from the store. It came in a black pot when I bought it

@KayTee - Yea there is a hook nail in the ceiling. Yea it gets sun. I take it outside when I get off work.

I didn't get to read all of it.
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2010, 08:53 AM

So it's in a pot? Just not the one that you'd like it to be in?

Jun 17, 2010, 09:01 AM

Right.. You know those black plastic pots that come with the plant? Just some people take it out that pot and other (I guess) leave it in the one it came in
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2010, 09:04 AM

OK, that makes so much more sense. Be careful not to under water it or over water it. I would just give it a little miracle grow (very little) maybe once a week and see if it turns back to the darker green. Your plant is at least low on nitrogen. Nitrogen is what gives plants their bright green color.

Jun 17, 2010, 09:19 AM

What kind of miracle growth should I get? That is affordable?
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2010, 12:03 PM

My grandma had this little box of powder that I mixed with water when I watered the plants. You could try that. To be honest I don't remember what type it was exactly. But the boxes have a lot of info on them
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2010, 12:07 PM

It's called Miracle-Gro - that's the name of the product. You mix it with water and then water the plant.
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2010, 12:14 PM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    ZoeMarie agrees : I already told her it was miracle grow. lol
    [/QUOTE]

She asked about miracle growth. You referred to miracle grow.

It's neither. It's a brand name product called Miracle-Gro, made by Scotts, capitalized because it's a proper name. You can also buy it premixed for outdoor plants.

It comes in various types - for cactus, for example; for houseplants; for vegetables.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2010, 05:54 PM

I have one outside, that used to be inside that won't go away:eek:
    Put it in a pot and don't over water it. Don't ever move it outside, you will never get rid of it:eek:

Jun 18, 2010, 07:36 AM

@ JustDahlia - I don't want to get rid of it lol. The bigger the better!

@ JudyKayTee - LOL Thanks! I just wrote down Miracle Gro by Scotts! I am going to go look for some when I get off work today.

I also found out what kind of plant I have. I have a Goncho or phonco plant. I can't remember how to spell. You guys may know what Im talking about.

I read the tag yesterday about the plant. It said to keep in a well lit room during daylight hours and to water the plant well when the soil at the top feels dry and keep it from frost and cold
    catladyinflorida Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 12:36 PM
    Spider plants are one of the easiest to grow. They don't call for a lot of fertilizer. When you buy a pot, you can also get a potting soil that already has the fertilizer in it, so no fuss. And it sounds like it needs some sun. They like shaded sun. So if you can put in by a window for a few days, that will help. And they don't like to be too wet. But they love humidity. SO you can mist it to make it happy too.

Jul 13, 2010, 10:13 AM

Yeah I was thinking of getting a empty spray bottle so I can just spray them every now and then and I do put the plant outside some days too
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2010, 12:06 PM

Spider plants are a very easy to grow house plant, producing small babies that you can cut off and replant.

They are good by a window, where there is warmth and light and don't actually require much feeding.
    When the leaves get dirty/ dusty you can clean gently with plain water or you can purchase a leaf clean from most general stores that stock garden lines.

This is probably one of the most common plants that is quite happy to be pot bound, you can however break off the white stems that appear out of the pot at the base, it will not harm the plant.

I have had spider plants for many years, they seem to go on and on, I also had mine in a house hanging basket by my front door.It's varigated leaves make a lovely display for all seasons.

Basically don't over water as it will cause the roots to rot, maybe once a week or fortnight, depending on how hot your home is.

Feed occasionally, with any house plant feed, again you will be able to buy at any store that keeps gardening lines.

Likes light, not direct sunlight.Keep out of midday sun, when it's at it's hottest.

This plant is capable of looking after it's self with a little watering here and there and a watchful eye for any problems that may occur.

If the leaves go brown on the ends, it's sometimes due to too much sun or drying out, I have simply cut the brown bits off to the shape of the original leaf and it has been just fine.
    jintymcginty Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2010, 03:57 PM

Spider plants are very easy to grow. Just water it and keep it in some light. Turn it around sometimes or it will grow towards the light. If you have it a long while and keep it in one pot, it should send out "babies" and you get that lovely cascading effect. It happens when the plant is a bit stressed, so don't feel that you need to be too clever with it. If you are too kind to it it will get very comfortable and make lots of leaves and never send shooting stems out with the new plants on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Plant care [ 2 Answers ]

I have a three year old peace lily. The last couple of weeks the leaves have been droopy and even after watering and fertilizing, the leaves still remain droopy. I have checked for spider mites and checked the pot to see if the plant is root bound or has root rot but neither seem to be occurring. ...

10 legged black spider not a camel spider [ 5 Answers ]

I came across this thing on my side walk it moves slowly is about an inch in length I've never seen a 10 legged spider so I took pictures and tried looking it up with no luck, it is not a camel spider I know that for sure. Also you can see from the pictures I'm not mistaking the 2 extra legs for...

No Greenthumb - Plant Care New [ 1 Answers ]

I have just bought a couple of houseplants, I'm told these are the names for them. Diffenbachia (Dumb Cane) Dracaena (Happy Plant) Small (Money Plant) Jade Aptenia (Pig Face) I had bought these plant from a market, No tags for them,

Plant Care Money tree [ 2 Answers ]

How does one care for A money tree. Watering, repoting, fertilizing Etc...

How to care for an indoor plant for dummies. [ 7 Answers ]

I just received a potted plant for my birthday. As there is no sun out this time of year. I was wondering how to care for this beautiful plant so that is stands the test of time. It's a hacineath (I have no clue how to spell this), tulips, and daisy combo in a pot. Thank you for any and...

View more questions Search